4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

LOWERING CONFUSION/IS THIS CORRECT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 01:44 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default LOWERING CONFUSION/IS THIS CORRECT?

I am planning on upgrading my car's handling with the following parts, FRPP springs that lower my vert 1.2" front and back. I am using KYB GR-2's fue to several back surgeries and did not want to with harsh shocks when the springs will be stiffer. I also bought MM's aluminum steering rack bushings.
1. I have concluded that a drop of 1.2" will NOT require CC plates, Correct?
2. After reading the suspension basics in the stickies above I got the impression that lowering the front without extensive/expensive additional parts will actually diminish the handling. Is a 1.2" drop enough to worry that I will get worse handling?
3. I am not sure about using the MM solid steering rack bushings, not much feedback out there. Can anyone let me know if this is a good mod? MM says with the stock K-member this is the way to go with a lowered stang. Thanks guys, Mark
Old 02-16-2007, 01:53 PM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: LOWERING CONFUSION/IS THIS CORRECT?

Just do the springs and struts/shocks everything else will just be overkill for you and not worth your time.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:55 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

If you don't use CC plates you are limiting the travel of the struts. Forget alignmnet for the moment, if you want full range of motion from the struts, you' want CC plates.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:07 PM
SSFenris
2nd Gear Member

what do c/c plates have to do with strut travel? I know that the stock strut mounts are fatties, but I was unaware that the were THAT bad...
I personally am going kinda all-out on my front suspension, Tubular K and all, so I've already got my c/c plates (UPR Sharks from American Muscle), and I'd recommend that you get them to, otherwise your car's never going to align right...
Old 02-16-2007, 02:08 PM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

c/c's have nothing to do with strut travel, they have to do with toe and caster camber.....prove me wrong?
Old 02-16-2007, 02:11 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

More confusion! I have read where guys with 2" drops did not have any alignment problems and all I want is a little better handling since the struts/shocks are now 8 years old and need replacing. The question is are we splitting straws here? I know there is always the ultimate/best available. This is not a drag or rally car but a simple summer vehicle. Will I really notice the struts having a bit less travel due to 1.2"? Seems like after 8 years the springs could be sagged nearly half of that already. Still need clarification here please, mark
Old 02-16-2007, 02:16 PM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sweet99

More confusion! I have read where guys with 2" drops did not have any alignment problems and all I want is a little better handling since the struts/shocks are now 8 years old and need replacing. The question is are we splitting straws here? I know there is always the ultimate/best available. This is not a drag or rally car but a simple summer vehicle. Will I really notice the struts having a bit less travel due to 1.2"? Seems like after 8 years the springs could be sagged nearly half of that already. Still need clarification here please, mark
If you were going more than 1.5" you would need to get c/c plates at this point the stock setup will be more than enough for factory spec alignment and you will not experience any kind of unusually tire wear etc. You will not suffer in ride quality by not having the c/c plates. Like I said def do the struts and shocks with the springs since everything will be easy to do all at once and you will have an improved ride from doing this and still be able to save some money in the end as well. Offset rack bushings and bumpsteer kit etc is something like I have to do having almost 4" drop....that stuff for you is just over kill....I hope this clarifies things and you can finalize your decision now...Dan
Old 02-16-2007, 02:32 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

I did a 1.5" drop in the front and my tires were clearly leaning inwards! / Looked like ****. Definately wears the tires, don't know why everyone thinks otherwise. I put in C/C plates and they are 100x better. Look is stock. If you alter your suspension travel at all you need an alignment and c/c plates. Don't b cheap. You have to take the struts out anyways, your better off doing it while they are out! I have seen a few cars that have 2 inch lowering springs WITH c/c plates and they are still leaning inwards because there isn't enough adjustment even in the plates for that amount of dop. 1.5" is the max a c/c plate can adjust to! Get the plates! a 1.2 drop should be rough. I wouldn't go 1.2 in the back or it will!!! iT WILL ALSO LOOKED SAGGED! You want .75" differece from front to back if possible for an even stance. Roush springs are awesome for that!
Old 02-16-2007, 02:40 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

ORIGINAL: sweet99

I am planning on upgrading my car's handling with the following parts, FRPP springs that lower my vert 1.2" front and back. I am using KYB GR-2's fue to several back surgeries and did not want to with harsh shocks when the springs will be stiffer. I also bought MM's aluminum steering rack bushings.
1. I have concluded that a drop of 1.2" will NOT require CC plates, Correct?
2. After reading the suspension basics in the stickies above I got the impression that lowering the front without extensive/expensive additional parts will actually diminish the handling. Is a 1.2" drop enough to worry that I will get worse handling?
3. I am not sure about using the MM solid steering rack bushings, not much feedback out there. Can anyone let me know if this is a good mod? MM says with the stock K-member this is the way to go with a lowered stang. Thanks guys, Mark
this is the exact setup I have, except for the bushings, so I dunno aboot them. you won't need CC plates. I think my car feels much improved, handling-wise, what was the reason people gave for them making the handling worse?
Old 02-16-2007, 02:51 PM
DTK
3rd Gear Member

After much thought I bought a set of Kenny Brown C/C plates.
My drop is 1.7 front and 1.5 rear.
I've got brand new tires so the price of the plates is insurance because if I do not get plates and my tires wear unevenly then guess what...I have to buy the plates and now atleast 2 more new tires.

Just do it right the first time and move on.

Quick Reply: LOWERING CONFUSION/IS THIS CORRECT?