4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Learn to Build a Motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 12:31 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Learn to Build a Motor

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6
If you have never done it before and have no help from people that have you would be INSANE to just attempt to read a book and then do it yourself.
I have to completely agree w/ this statement. The first 2 engines I built, I had the shop manuals around and STILL ran into issues, either in the assembly process, or in the part identification process.. I had an extremely knowledgeable and experienced individual w/ me that sort of walked me through it, and only jumped in when I was about to trash my progress...

Personally, I'd look into taking a basic Engine Repair/Overhaul course, since they cover a lot of ground, and put it right in your face, so you can learn by experience; the best tool ever..

Or you can just jump right, invest some hard earned money, all to destroy it when you try priming the engine oil..

JT
Old 02-18-2007, 01:33 PM
98blackgtinsc
1st Gear Member

i am rebuilding my engine as we speak, this is my first rebuild but as long as you know when to stop and ask someone, when you dont know what you are doing then you should be fine, I have a shop right down the street that builds custom motors and im in there everyday asking them a question. It's really not that hard, just check clearances, buy a feeler gauge set,and use plastigauge. If you are putting in a new rotating assembly then you will need to buy all new bolts, and bearings and make sure it is balanced and you might want to get the block honed/bored while youre in there. But there is a lot of technical stuff to learn, like rotating the rings 30 deg., torque stages and whatnot. but just read and ask questions and you should be fine.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:46 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Best to have someone who knows what their doing ,help with yourFIRST build.....IMO..
Old 02-18-2007, 02:50 PM
viper104
2nd Gear Member

If this is your first build take a course,no ifs ands or buts about it! Take it from me I have been a machinest for the past seven years and i can not tell you how many parts and complete engines i have had to fix because someone had read "every manual and topic" on the process. The best manuals will only show you so much, but it doesnt show you 1/2 the stuff you need to know. the manuals assume that you have had some experance in the past with engine rebuilding. They do not tell you the stuff that is common senseto someone with experance. Just my .02
Old 02-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll look into seeing what classes are around that I can take, I agree that going into the process without the right information will only lead to disaster.

E.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:55 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

get a chilton repair manual. it literally tells you everything. how to tear down the whole engine, and rebuild it.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:51 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

The only real things that Chilton's doesn't cover is the proper machining process.. Personally, I'd rather have a machine shop do that.. Assembly, sure, they have the torque specs, and some assorted pictures, but not as detailed as someone who has seen it before..

JT
Old 02-19-2007, 02:27 AM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Well obviously Chilton manual doesnt have machining tolerances because thats not something you do in your garage. Thats something for pro machinists to do in a shop with the proper maching equipment. Also check into a Hayne's manual too
Old 02-22-2007, 08:01 AM
driftclub.it

hi all,
we are rebuilding a '98 4.6
no particular issues but we'd need an indication on how much for all engine screws tightening (in terms of torque to apply)
please help![sm=helpout.gif]
Old 02-22-2007, 08:40 AM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

Start by buying yourself the proper tools. Engines are all about close tolerances. Look around garage sales for micrometers, telescoping gages, dial bore gages and dial indicators. In Micrometers, you will need a 3-4", 2-3", 1-2" and 0-1". Typically, creating a long-lasting engine is all about clearances and tolerances. Find a good machine shop and CHECK their work, make sure parts are re-ground and bored EXACTLY to stock tolerances. I spent time as a GM trainer, the first thing I taught my students in engine class, was precision measurement, I spent 3 weeks of the course on it. I have an advantage, my Dad had a precision machining business, I started learning to measure at age twelve. To my knowledge, I haven't had an engine blow that I rebuilt, it just takes care and patience, and of course, techniques from the masters. I've sent many an engine back that WASN'T TO MY SPECIFICATIONS OF TOLERANCE after machining. That, and quality parts will do the deal. Read, Read, Read!

John