4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Learn to Build a Motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Default Learn to Build a Motor

Let me start by saying I am pretty technical when it comes to cars. Suspension, Brakes, installing my blower, electrical work, etc.

The one thing I have not learned to do and would like to, is how to work on my engine, I would like to buy forged parts and install them. Any suggestions on reading material such as ford manuals or other technical manuals, how-to's or other training to do this. I learn quickly and have lots of time on my hands so I would be taking it slow and learning as I go.

E.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:20 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Learn to Build a Motor

Look into a course. Maybe there is a place around you that offers an engine building course. If not, read every book you can find on it, the more the better. That way you get a lot of repeat information that will stick, and some may have better points than others about certain topics. Just my $0.02.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:04 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

My advice is readin the Sean Hyland manual. but the best advice i can give is to get out there,and just do it. keep a manual handy but the only way i really learn is to just do it. now really complicated stuff tthat involves certain tools i would let someone teach you.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

I picked up the Sean Hyland book and am going through it now, so far its informative but a bit over my head as I don't know alot of the basics and terminology, any other 4.6 Modular motor books you guys can recommend?

E.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

No one seems to be able to answer this question for me. How detailed is the SHM book when it comes down to actually assembling the motor?
Old 02-17-2007, 06:36 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

it's not that great at telling how to build a motor from the ground. it's morely of how to increase the performance and what to pick. and the tools and terminology they use is quite confusing at some points, especially about putting in cams..
Old 02-18-2007, 05:12 AM
FDNYBullitt
2nd Gear Member

I haven't looked but I'm sure there are a few good "How To Rebuild a 4.6" out there. Even the Ford Factory Shop Manuals are pretty good.The problem is that most of them assume that you already have a basic knowledge of building a motor and also assume that you have, and know how to use specific tools, like a Dial bore gauge, Micrometers--both inside and outside, telescoping gauge, dial indicator and set up, things like that. Its really not rocket science but it helps to have this stuff because even something very simple could ruin a rebuild if not done correctly. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:34 AM
BADSEED
3rd Gear Member

was thinking of getting a rotating assembly but how much can are blocks hold? would i need to upgrade heads, ext. to run like around 600HP?
Old 02-18-2007, 05:51 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sap

Let me start by saying I am pretty technical when it comes to cars. Suspension, Brakes, installing my blower, electrical work, etc.

The one thing I have not learned to do and would like to, is how to work on my engine, I would like to buy forged parts and install them. Any suggestions on reading material such as ford manuals or other technical manuals, how-to's or other training to do this. I learn quickly and have lots of time on my hands so I would be taking it slow and learning as I go.

E.
If you have never done it before and have no help from people that have you would be INSANE to just attempt to read a book and then do it yourself.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:15 AM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

If I was you, I would buy a high mileage piece of crap 4.6 thats off a wrecked car from a junkyard for as cheap as you can get, pull it apart, and put it back together again before attempting to work on your own engine. Why risk thousands of dollars on an engine you want at your first try of a engine rebuild, when you can find a junker for 100 bucks, and if you put it back together wrong and if youblow it up, it doesnt matter?

Quick Reply: Learn to Build a Motor