4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Stuck.. (clutch job..)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 07:01 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Default Stuck.. (clutch job..)

Welp.. Im stuck. We have the car all jacked up and ready to work on it, about to drop the driveshaft, and realise.. the bolts are completely rusted in place. Ive put a couple different spray's on them, taken a breaker bar to them, tried a large 1/2" drive ratchet with 2 of us pulling on it.. and we managed to only break one loose. Anyone have any idea's?

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about. We have been locking with a screw driver wedged behind the ujoint and pulling/hitting/kicking/ you name it to get these things out. If its gonna have to be heated i'll just take it to a shop.. dont really want to do so.. but yeah.

pic has some tape on the ds.. was going to put some on the diff to mark the same spot on both for putting it back in.. but now may not be necessary [:@]

Couple other pics of the job so far.. was planning on doing a full instruction write up on it like I did the speedcal.. but dont know if it'll happen now

Sexy even on stands...

My friend who's helping me

and me.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:34 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Stuck.. (clutch job..)

heat them up
Old 02-18-2007, 07:39 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Alittle heat,,looks to be the only way at this point...dont have a (small)propane torch do you ? alot of those driveshaft bolts I pull on fordshave loctite on themfrom the factory.Heatsometimes is required....
Old 02-18-2007, 07:39 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Theme bolts suck ***. I almost bents a craftsman wrench in half trying to get them out.
Try and get the longest pry bar you can find. Maybe the handle from a floor jack (what I use). and have the friend try and break it loos while you are under the car making sure the drive-shaft doesn't rotate. those bolts have lock tite on them. Good luck
Old 02-18-2007, 07:40 PM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

spray it down with some liquid wrench and let it sit for awhile and see what that does.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:40 PM
bullitt15
2nd Gear Member

get a good impact and swivel joint. i see wd40 in the background, which is junk.. use p blaster. and you can also use the flame wrench.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:43 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

walmart jack stands FTW!
Old 02-18-2007, 07:43 PM
jitt
1st Gear Member

whenever that happened to me it always helps to heat 'em up.if you wanna do it yourself see if you can get your hands on a propane torch....i used to put a good box end wrench "snap-on or mac" and hit it with a good size hammer but make sure you hit the wrench with the inside corner of the hammer so it will act like a deflector should the wrench pop off while you hit it,,,i know it sounds crude but sometimes works better than trying to pry it 'cuz you might strip it and then that would be bad!...heat them up and give a good whack.....then again whenever this happened to me at aamco i always put the impact on it.....12 point 12mm i think.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:11 PM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

When I changed my clutch, we had to use a propane torch to heat them up. They put loc-tite on them, so you sorta have to heat them. It's not hard after about 30 seconds of heat. They'll come right out.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:12 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jitt

whenever that happened to me it always helps to heat 'em up.if you wanna do it yourself see if you can get your hands on a propane torch....i used to put a good box end wrench "snap-on or mac" and hit it with a good size hammer but make sure you hit the wrench with the inside corner of the hammer so it will act like a deflector should the wrench pop off while you hit it,,,i know it sounds crude but sometimes works better than trying to pry it 'cuz you might strip it and then that would be bad!...heat them up and give a good whack.....then again whenever this happened to me at aamco i always put the impact on it.....12 point 12mm i think.
Was afraid of that. I can get my hands on a little propane torch in a few days if I decide to go ahead with it.. and yep it is a 12pt 12mm end.

Ive tried a breaker bar, a giant metal bar my friend had with both of us ramming it full strength into the rachet, wd-40 was the first step and we have tried some other stuff as well.. even let it set over night completely coated. We did manage to get a single bolt loose.. tried the hammer pretty early on.. lol.

Quick Reply: Stuck.. (clutch job..)