4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

IAC Question, outta the norm

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 11:06 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

Default IAC Question, outta the norm

Does your Idle Air Control Valve stay open at all times? Just curious. If it is, that would mean its unmonitorered air calculated into the A/F mixture right? Mainly asking all this because of the IAC Restrictor plate to reduce hanging rpms, wouldn't it make you run a little rich?
Old 02-20-2007, 06:11 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default RE: IAC Question, outta the norm

The IAC valve only opens when the PCM tells it to, the computer can also control how much it opens by varying the duty cycle of the control signal.It opensat idle with the AC running (or some other load such as the alternator, p/s etc.), and when you close the throttle at higher revs and the engine is decelerating. [/align][/align]On my '03 GT it's also open until the car actually stops rolling (I've thought this might have something to do with the hydro-boost brakes, keeping the idle high keeps the p/s fluid pressure higher).[/align][/align]One last thing, the air passed by the IAC valve is metered, it's taken from the intake hose after the MAF. A restrictor just limits the rate at which the air can flow and makes the IAC valve perform "sluggishly" so the revs drop faster with the throttle closed.[/align][/align]
Old 02-20-2007, 08:47 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

The IAC valve only opens when the PCM tells it to, the computer can also control how much it opens by varying the duty cycle of the control signal.It opensat idle with the AC running (or some other load such as the alternator, p/s etc.), and when you close the throttle at higher revs and the engine is decelerating. [/align][/align]On my '03 GT it's also open until the car actually stops rolling (I've thought this might have something to do with the hydro-boost brakes, keeping the idle high keeps the p/s fluid pressure higher).[/align][/align]One last thing, the air passed by the IAC valve is metered, it's taken from the intake hose after the MAF. A restrictor just limits the rate at which the air can flow and makes the IAC valve perform "sluggishly" so the revs drop faster with the throttle closed.[/align][/align]
You hit the nail on the head here. Ackuric, you have been schooled on the IAC valve.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:11 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

sweet, and im glad i was ;P

lol was just curious, and i actually failed to think where the iac's air was coming from, blonde moment.

thank you cliffy.