4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Autometer Gauge Pillar install

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 07:05 PM
yoteehunter
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Autometer Gauge Pillar install

not to high jack this fellas thread but where is a good place to source the power wire for the lights in the gauge? Did yall connect to the fuse box? if so where I dont have a test light.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:14 PM
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

yea i took the stock a pillar and mocked it up with the autometer one and drilled it.. i used the plastic screws to attach the two... i placed those fasterners in a position where u cant see them if u want ill post up a pic when i get home.. as for the light source, i probably did too much work and i tapped into the ash tray light which im not sure if u have or not. and i got my 12 v from the clock in the middle ... which u dont have also lol!. ill post up the pics later. very stock loookin
Old 02-20-2007, 07:43 PM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

http://svtperformance.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122469

this thread helped me a lot, especially with thepower sources, mine dim with the stock gauges perfectly.i drilled through the stock pillar. i'm very happy with my install, looks stock.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:49 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Just slide it over and put it under the rubber molding; then i just glued mine to the rubber strip becuase I didnt want to drill my stock pillar.
Wouldnt you still have to drill through the stock pillar to run the gauge wires through? I'm installing a single gauge pod next week.

tell me this stuff doesn't look factory...
that doesnt look factory...
Old 02-20-2007, 07:57 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ASUSMC

tell me this stuff doesn't look factory...

http://www.speedofsoundllc.com/ProductGallery.html

Those are the glamor shots and do look good in those pics; but i've seen them in person and do not look nearly as good as those pics suggest.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:41 PM
hawks05
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawks05

ok so its the 2 guage one yes a-pillar so i should take off the factory one? or leave the factory on and put it on top? if i take the factory off i either have to drill or glue it? what should i use to glue it?

^^^^ anyone else got info on how i should go about doing this? ^^^^
Old 02-25-2007, 05:34 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

anyone else got info on how i should go about doing this?
If it's an entire A-pillar with the gauge pod molded, then you take off the stock A-pillar. It it's not an entire A-pillar, then you mark where you are going to mount it, then drill through the stock pillar to run the wiring through. Then run it through the dash and then through the firewall to the engineor whereveryour gauge goes to.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:51 PM
jmmorgan82
3rd Gear Member

for my install, I took off the factory one and drilled holes in it for the wires to run behind. I then used the plugs they sent with it to secure it to the factory pillar. I sourced all my power, lighting, ground, etc from the rear defroster switch. The hardest part of the whole install is running the wires up through the corner of the dash, takes some finesse.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:07 PM
hawks05
4th Gear Member

yeah on my car if you want to use the rear defrost you would have to run it all the way to the area around the shift
Old 02-25-2007, 11:27 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

I used the plastic push button fastners supplied with the autometer pillar.You'll need to drill4 3/16 holes in both pillars(at the 4 corners of the pillars)(while pushed togther,then push the fastners in...Just make sure their properly aligned first. I also drilled a 5/16 holes in the original pillar for the wiring to run through at the bottom....Drill the hole for the wires in the old pillarBEFORE you fasten them together.

Quick Reply: Autometer Gauge Pillar install