4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

KING COBRA CLUTCH

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 08:00 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: KING COBRA CLUTCH

ORIGINAL: qbuswell

Is it hard to install a new clutch and T/O bearing in the drivway with only jack stand and tools(and what tool will I need...are there any special tools?)......how much time should I set aside?

Umm yeah, going to be difficult if you dont know what to do, but it can be done. Special tools; youll need lots of extensions and swivels to remove the starter bolts which are a severe pain in the ***, well just one bolt is. You need special sockets to remove the driveshaft and flywheel. I dont know exactly what they are called torx bits maybe.

Also the king cobra clutch did not come with a throw out bearing or pilot bearing.My spec2 did. Just a heads up.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

Is it hard to install a new clutch and T/O bearing in the drivway with only jack stand and tools(and what tool will I need...are there any special tools?)......how much time should I set aside?

Umm yeah, going to be difficult if you dont know what to do, but it can be done. Special tools; youll need lots of extensions and swivels to remove the starter bolts which are a severe pain in the ***, well just one bolt is. You need special sockets to remove the driveshaft and flywheel. I dont know exactly what they are called torx bits maybe.

Also the king cobra clutch did not come with a throw out bearing or pilot bearing.My spec2 did. Just a heads up.
Nothing special required to take off the drive shaft. Just a 12mm socket. Make sure you mark the driveshaft in reference to the differential (bolt it back on exactly how it came off) beore you take it off to mantain the balance.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:47 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mark99GT

Nothing special required to take off the drive shaft. Just a 12mm socket. Make sure you mark the driveshaft in reference to the differential (bolt it back on exactly how it came off) beore you take it off to mantain the balance.

Not mine? I've taken it off twice... maybe just something small they changed between the years.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:50 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

yeah i replaced my drive shaft and had no problem.i only did that with the flywheel to maintain balance
Old 02-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mark99GT

Not mine? I've taken it off twice... maybe just something small they changed between the years.
Hmm interesting. I took mine off lastweek. The bolts looksimilar tothe ones you pictured in your pilot bearing thread but I just used a 12mm socket on mine. Crazy how little things change...