4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Swapping mid pipes for inspection...Easy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 10:13 PM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

Default Swapping mid pipes for inspection...Easy?

I want to buy an o/r x pipe for my car because i like the sound more then a catted one and its way cheaper, but in pa its illegal to run no cats. So i want to know if it is easy to swap the mid pipes every year for inspection. I heard a lot of people saying that they did this but I was not sure if it was easy with only jacks not a lift. And do the bolts wear fast, like would i have to replace bolts often or just spray them with rust remover or oilbefore swapping?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:18 PM
sleeping stallion
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Swapping mid pipes for inspection...Easy?

MAN I HAVE THE SAME ? I HAVE A O/R H AND I THINK IT WAY TO LOUD PLUS NO MUFFLERS SO ITS RASPY AS HELL I NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT BUT I NEED TO GET THE CAR SMOGS IN 2 WEEKS SO I HAVE TO CHANGE IT OUT ITS ONLY BEEN ON FOR4 OR 5DAYS
Old 02-20-2007, 10:36 PM
tehzack
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sleeping stallion

MAN I HAVE THE SAME ? I HAVE A O/R H AND I THINK IT WAY TO LOUD PLUS NO MUFFLERS SO ITS RASPY AS HELL I NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT BUT I NEED TO GET THE CAR SMOGS IN 2 WEEKS SO I HAVE TO CHANGE IT OUT ITS ONLY BEEN ON FOR4 OR 5DAYS
Lol, you didn't really think that one out did you?

Personally if I had to worry about emissions I'd probably just get a catted midpipe. From personal experience they aren't the hardest thing in the world to swap out, but its definitely a PITA. But if you figure out a easy way to get to that outside bolt on the passenger side and your that dedicated to having an O/R midpipe then go for it.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:41 PM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

That bolt is only hard the first time around.. it'll seal itself up pretty good and might give you SOME troble, but it shouldn't be as bad the second or third time around. Think of how many miles were on your car before you touched the midpipe. that bolt was exposed to heat, cold, rain, and probably snow for most of you. Just make sure not to torque the **** out of it and you'll be fine, or you'll be rounding it off and/or pulling out the stud with it.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:47 PM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

So the far passenger bolt on the x pipe is hard to get out of because of positioning / no room? Is that the only hard part about swapping them and what would you suggest about getting the bolt off? Mass wd-40 on it the night before?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:47 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

If you have to deal with emissions testing get a catted H or X, the single cats (vs. 4 or 6) will get you to the same place "performancewise" as none, and when they peek under the car and see cats they'll be happy (assuming the sniffer doesn't complain)...
Old 02-20-2007, 10:49 PM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

So forget swapping the stock midpipe for inspections and just get the catted one and hope it does well with smog? Its an extra 160-200 though :/
Old 02-20-2007, 10:57 PM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

If you like the O/R sound, which you do, and you like the price, which your wallet does, why not get it?... The first time around might be hard, and yes, mass wd-40 or PB Blaster if you have it the night before.That nut just doesn't come off for alot of people.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:59 PM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the help man.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:37 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

hey cliffyk.... the shift boot dosnt cover the mgw shifter up???? if thats the case im not getting 1 cause that looks wak!! (not that im talkin **** bout urs or n e thing)

Quick Reply: Swapping mid pipes for inspection...Easy?