4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

please advise, about to buy first stang!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:32 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Default RE: please advise, about to buy first stang!

ORIGINAL: bigtom

Thanks for the advise Bill
do you know of any other differences between the 99-00 and 01-04s
i would say besides cosmedic the main thing is the trans. just find the one thats in the best shape, kinda regaurdless of miles...are you gunna race it or just have it for cruisin? the first thing to consider is how the car has been treated.....consider that before miles or anything else
Old 02-21-2007, 10:36 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Methinx mileage is waaaayyyyyyymore important than year, so long as it's at least a 99....
Old 02-21-2007, 10:49 PM
bigtom
2nd Gear Member

Helpfull advise guys thanks.

to SVTBill I want it mainly for fun + cruising with my girlbut im sure that when someone in a 4 cyl with waspy exhaust and bolt on alloy spoiler races by trying to get my attention my right foot might feel heavy all of a sudden!
Old 02-21-2007, 10:51 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

I just bought a 99 GT myself. The thing I looked for first was the treatment and condition of the car, just as someone previously said. The one I found was the guy's weekend car and looked new inside and out. The next thing I looked at was the mileage. The one I got had 38,000 miles. The mileage kind of goes hand in hand with the condition. If the car has low mileage it is going to show less wear than a car with higher mileage. The year was actually not all that important in my decision just as long as I went with a 99-04.

As far as the differences, they are minimal. The things I dislike about owning a '99 is the V6 hood and the side emblems that are the 35th anniversary instead of the GT emblems. Like you said, it looks like a lame V6 from the side. Some people like that sleeper effect but I don't. Also, the stereo is kind of old fashioned looking but it's not that big of a deal.

I'd say definitely go with the second car you listed. Not too old and decent mileage. I only paid $9300 for my '99 with 38k. A '99 with as many miles as the one you listed is not close to being worth $10k. I would offer no more than $8k if you were going to go with that one.

Hope this helps..
Old 02-21-2007, 10:52 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Helpfull advise guys thanks.

to SVTBill I want it mainly for fun + cruising with my girlbut im sure that when someone in a 4 cyl with waspy exhaust and bolt on alloy spoiler races by trying to get my attention my right foot might feel heavy all of a sudden!
haha yeah no one can resist those races welll then i would say, if you're not going to be too hard on it...it would be alright to get a t-45. but like i said before, only if it hasnt had the **** beaten out of it...the trannys are the weak points of our cars and unfortunately they take the hardest beating [&o]
Old 02-21-2007, 11:00 PM
bigtom
2nd Gear Member

those prices were for convertibles hence more $$$$

with regards to the stereo, is it 2 separate stereos cassette upper and cd lower?
Would it be difficult to fit an aftermarket stereo
i guess you would need to use a blanking plate for the lower unit

As for the body parts on the 01+ models wont they fit 99 + 00s?
Old 02-21-2007, 11:12 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

those prices were for convertibles hence more $$$$

That's true, I forgot you said you were lookin at verts. I'd still say that '99 is overpriced compared to the '00, though.

And yeah the CD and cassete decks are separate. I don't even use the CD player though so I don't care.. I have an ipod and just use the cassete deck with a cassete to aux input adapter to play off of the ipod. Works pretty well so I'll probably just leave the stereo system alone. I haven't looked into replacing it at all so I can't tell you much about it.

The body parts (scoops, lights etc) should all fit, it's just a matter of buying them and installing.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:04 AM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

check into 96-98 cobras. I have a 97, and kinda was in your situation. I was bent on gettin an 01 a mustang gt, but then 'accidentally' stumbled on some information about cobras. Before, I knew they existed and everyhting, but I didnt know too much about them and didnt think i could afford them (21yr old college kid). I checked one out, and got the cobra. It was about 10 grand with 66000 miles. I absolutly love it. Its a blast to drive, and its a SN cobra. I dont see too many of them anymore.

Matt
Old 02-22-2007, 01:03 AM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

get the one with 68,000 for $11,000 best buy i betcha
Old 02-22-2007, 01:41 AM
boss281
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the cobra they come w/ like 300hp

Quick Reply: please advise, about to buy first stang!