4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

comparison between gt and cobra

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 05:04 AM
99_gtx
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: comparison between gt and cobra

Ok, I love about every mustang out there but people need to wake up look at what there paying for. SVT,SALEEN,ROUSH,BOSS,STEEDA, its all a name. There all Outstanding stangs but cost way more because they are numbered. You can order every part for these cars, total the price up, and it will be way less than the sticker price. Lets start with the cobras suspension: Face it, the IRS sucks. Theres nothing wrong with the GT's just thow on new struts, springs, panhard bar kit, control arms and bushings. Most of that will come in a kit. Or if you want to go all out get a steeda 5 link for a grand and never worry about it. As mentioned above, its not just the motor but you really dont need to throw all that in unless you want to throw down 450-500 HP. Thats why I didnt mention it earlyer. Thik about it, most of us want around 400-475 HP cause we use it every day to get around. Unless you are really into street racing or grag racing, are you gonna need 700-800 HP?? The answer is no. In response to bcisme,: Yor talking about blower swaps and all that crap, all i was saying was you can get a GT to a cobras level for cheaper. Another thing is why waste money buying one just to swap the blwer??? I think buying a GT, which is the building block for a cobra anyway, and start there instead of paying for stuff you dont even want in there. Better yet, I baught my 99 gt for 12,000. 36,000-12,000=24,000 bucks. ??????? I smell decaying cobra on the side of the road. I dont understand why people would buy a car off the lot anyways? You pay alot for a warenty but you want to do things that will void it. If you start tearing out the s/c and what not, You just voided that warenty. If you want that HP, and the name which seems to be what people want, find A used cobra. The most important thing is its a mustang.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:50 AM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99_gtx

Ok, I love about every mustang out there but people need to wake up look at what there paying for. SVT,SALEEN,ROUSH,BOSS,STEEDA, its all a name. There all Outstanding stangs but cost way more because they are numbered. You can order every part for these cars, total the price up, and it will be way less than the sticker price. Lets start with the cobras suspension: Face it, the IRS sucks. Theres nothing wrong with the GT's just thow on new struts, springs, panhard bar kit, control arms and bushings. Most of that will come in a kit. Or if you want to go all out get a steeda 5 link for a grand and never worry about it. As mentioned above, its not just the motor but you really dont need to throw all that in unless you want to throw down 450-500 HP. Thats why I didnt mention it earlyer. Thik about it, most of us want around 400-475 HP cause we use it every day to get around. Unless you are really into street racing or grag racing, are you gonna need 700-800 HP?? The answer is no. In response to bcisme,: Yor talking about blower swaps and all that crap, all i was saying was you can get a GT to a cobras level for cheaper. Another thing is why waste money buying one just to swap the blwer??? I think buying a GT, which is the building block for a cobra anyway, and start there instead of paying for stuff you dont even want in there. Better yet, I baught my 99 gt for 12,000. 36,000-12,000=24,000 bucks. ??????? I smell decaying cobra on the side of the road. I dont understand why people would buy a car off the lot anyways? You pay alot for a warenty but you want to do things that will void it. If you start tearing out the s/c and what not, You just voided that warenty. If you want that HP, and the name which seems to be what people want, find A used cobra. The most important thing is its a mustang.
you are an idiot. and you don't know **** about cars.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:17 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

You just graduated at the top of your class!!! Here is your diploma!

[IMG]local://upfiles/6126/0B06F6BAFD69423A8340E461DCD7023A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-31-2004, 12:47 PM
99_gtx
2nd Gear Member

Why is that? Im just placing my opinion. You are right, I am a noob to this sight, but dont tell me what I know or dont know about cars. I just see things a diferent way. And no niether I nor you know everything, and you to can be wrong. I learn new things every day from you guys and I apreciate the help. However I dont apreciate the things above whenever I may say something wrong that I thaught was right. [sm=sorry.gif]
Old 10-31-2004, 12:52 PM
Wings65288
3rd Gear Member

ahahahah once again, lol... man... he does have a point in that post tho. i really wanted a saleen but i realized if i got a newer cobra i would be getting more for my dollar.
ORIGINAL: jdaniel

You just graduated at the top of your class!!! Here is your diploma!

[IMG]local://upfiles/6126/0B06F6BAFD69423A8340E461DCD7023A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-06-2004, 10:35 PM
01GTvertible
3rd Gear Member

i've been gone from this site for about 2 months now, b/c i finally got done building my house. since then, i have traded my 01 GT in for a 03 cobra. i freakin love it. i used to be just like some of you and say the same things. 'why get a cobra when you can get the same power from a gt for less money?' dont get me wrong i liked my gt, very fun car, but it no where compares to my cobra. if you got the money to buy a gt and put 10k in it, just my opinion, and only an opinion, get an 03 cobra instead. you wont be disappointed. BCisme, i agreed with everything you have posted. one thing we can all agree on is MUSTANGS, and you guys wouldnt believe the amount of crap i have been talking since i got the cobra!!!!! but its all in fun!!!!
Old 11-06-2004, 11:01 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Forget all of you. It's whatever floats your boat.

LOL
Old 11-06-2004, 11:18 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Why is that? Im just placing my opinion. You are right, I am a noob to this sight, but dont tell me what I know or dont know about cars. I just see things a diferent way. And no niether I nor you know everything, and you to can be wrong. I learn new things every day from you guys and I apreciate the help. However I dont apreciate the things above whenever I may say something wrong that I thaught was right. [sm=sorry.gif]

1) Site
2) different
3) neither
4) appreciate
5) appreciate
6) thought

LOL Just helping you out a bit, buddy. The Noob diploma was a joke. When I first joined I was picked on also. Its a vicious circle. lol You will be picking on the N00Bs before you know it.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

The 03, 04 Cobra is not an aluminum block which is why you can change the pulley and easily get 500 hp to the rear wheels with exhaust and tune, you cannot add a supercharger to the earlier aluminum Cobra blocks and run that high boost they wont take it.
From 02 to current, Saleen has used an aluminum block very effectivly in the S281E. The truth is that aluminum blocks can take A LOT of boost. The new 500+ hp S281E will have an aluminum block. The S281E is the only mustang avalible for purchase with an aluminum block.
ahahahah once again, lol... man... he does have a point in that post tho. i really wanted a saleen but i realized if i got a newer cobra i would be getting more for my dollar.
If you bought a 04 cobra at sticker and a 04 S281sc at sticker, with the same mileage in 4 years, the Saleen would end up being the better value, resale wise. The Saleen would have a much lower % depreciation rate. If you can find a really good deal on a Saleen, then it really overshadows the cobras' depreciation rate. I'm not saying the 04 cobra is a bad deal at all. They are a great value. I'm just pointing out depreciation differences, mostly due to limited production, numbered Saleens. Usually, Saleen produces around 800 per year vs. the thousands of cobras out there.