4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Guys with Autos, Come on in!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:51 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

Default Guys with Autos, Come on in!

Just curious how you guess control your gas pedal during the shifts in our autos. Do you guys let out of the gas at all prior to the shift, or during shift, or do you keep your foot in it at all times?

Reason I'm asking is I have a shift kit, and if I leave my foot in it, that sob shifts your face it kicks in gear so hard damn near, snappy. theres no delay from thechange in exhaust tone as I reach the nextgear, just BAM, there you are.

So I've found the best way for me to shift with complete smoothness and a good feel for each gear, is presing in the gas quickly (not considerably)to get another 200-500 rpms when i'm ready to shift, then I let out to partial throttle (about where i just was before i pressed it in to get a few more rpms)as it shifts, and get back into the gas as needed to attain w/e speed.

only time i mash the gas and never let out is if i'm racing something that has a chance.

Anyone else with a driving habit like that?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:52 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Guys with Autos, Come on in!

and yes its tech, because that pedal control is so technical, at least in my stang =P
Old 02-22-2007, 09:56 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

oh and another technique of shifting for me is relaxing my foot (not reallyeasing out)as im ready for the next gear, and as the stang shifts, the pedal actually kicks out a little, softening the shift.

weird, i know.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Andrew00GT
2nd Gear Member

yes i find mine the same, Unless i need the car at its max perf. i will let up after a lil punch so it shifts but not hard. mine shifts hard into second and it is really tricky to get it to shift smooth into 2. so i am ganna see what happends when i take my chip out tomorow, ive been told it could have to do with it.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:57 PM
RipTide7
3rd Gear Member

What kind of shift kit do you have, and do you feel it helps alot when racing? (Sorry for the non-helpful response)
Old 02-22-2007, 10:05 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

Yes Andrew that 2nd gear is a ****! Sometimes I get into her perfect, and othertimes it leaves 1st before im ready, or the shift is just ruggid and rough, because I left too much foot in the pedal, lol.

I wouldnt say the shift kit helps with racing, unless you got themanual valve bnodyand the only benefit there is having complete control over the gears, which I basically do anyways in my automatic auto tranny, lol. only time I curse out my tranny is during a right hand turn, I slow to around 15-20, and it stays in third, grrrr, who wantsa 1:1 ratio at that speed, so I usually manually downshift =)

the shift kit it'll help your automatic tranny last 2x as long, and yes it shifts 2x as fast but the stock tranny shifts quite fast enough, a little sloppily but thats to keep the drivetrain damage down, the shift kit can actually cause you some harm in that sense, with harder shifts comes more wear and tear in the drivetrain. With that said, thats one of the reasons I shift the way I do, the other being comfort =P