4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

long tubes FINALLY installed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 07:34 PM
mex69
2nd Gear Member

Default long tubes FINALLY installed!!!!

ok well i got pretty far on my header install. and well when me and my dad were trying to bend my egr valve to fit my mac headers. we cracked it. im about to go to home depot and buy some JB weld so we can fix up the hole in the EGR pipe. would it be ok to run with Jb weld... and to people to who installed there own headers how did you bend your EGR pipe???
Old 02-24-2007, 07:50 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

Default RE: run with broke EGR valve??

Get an EGR delete kit. It'll clean up the engine bay. And the JB weld should hold up.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:09 AM
mex69
2nd Gear Member

were can i purchase this EGR delete kitt what exactly does the EGR doo???? well i probably dont need it anyways butt i finished my longtube install... and man do i love it. i dont care what my girlfriend says its loud and deep.. i think i drove for a good 3 hrs before i finally calmed down and came home. and im glad i did hte install myself. i felt like a lil boy the night before christmas when i cranked my car. but i would never wanna do it again
Old 02-25-2007, 04:58 AM
MustangMan528
2nd Gear Member

EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculator, what it does is it recirculates exhaust that hasnt been completely ignited and still has gas fumes in it. It reroutes the exhaust gases back into the intake manifold so they can be reignited in the combustion chamber. All it helps do is clean up emissions, I would recommend getting the delete kit if you dont have any emissions laws where you live.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:04 AM
mex69
2nd Gear Member

yeaa i got emission here in TEXAS!! grr. oh well i got a hook up
Old 02-25-2007, 05:08 AM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

how much is an EGR delete kit. i had the most trouble with my LT's with the stupidEGR pipe.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:27 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

I went with BBK long tubes and the EGR fell right into place, no bending. BTW, that header install was a b***h wasn't it. I installed mine myself also. I'm glad I did now but I'm like you, I'll never do another one.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:22 AM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

Don't EVER delete an EGR. True, it injects exhaust into the intake to reduce NOX emissions. It's other function is to reduce combustion temps by introducing exhaust at critical times to keep preignition from occuring. Preignition basically can blow holes through the tops of pistons. If you wish to invariably shorten the life of your engineGO FOR IT! Everything on a modern engine today is a balance actof emissions, peak performance, and durability. I wouldn't foolwith this one. How doI know? My resume includes,GMservice tech training instructor, 8 years.

John
Old 02-25-2007, 12:51 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 70 MACH I

Don't EVER delete an EGR. True, it injects exhaust into the intake to reduce NOX emissions. It's other function is to reduce combustion temps by introducing exhaust at critical times to keep preignition from occuring. Preignition basically can blow holes through the tops of pistons. If you wish to invariably shorten the life of your engineGO FOR IT! Everything on a modern engine today is a balance actof emissions, peak performance, and durability. I wouldn't foolwith this one. How doI know? My resume includes,GMservice tech training instructor, 8 years.

John
I can't agree totally. If you are as knowledgeable as you claim, then you would know the EGR is used only at partial throttle settings. Any A/F changes are taken care of with a custom tune. Mine has been deleted for over 3 years and 60K miles.I have a goodcustom tune and have no holes in my pistons even after runnning a 150 shot of nitrous. I would not suggest deletingtheEGRwithout a tune BTW[8D]
Old 02-25-2007, 12:54 PM
BlackMustang02GT
4th Gear Member

right but in this case, if they actually offer a egr delete and also in a tuner to turn off the EGR, im pretty sure those companys who do so are still in buisness because they wouldnt sell stuff to blow up your pistons. no?

Quick Reply: long tubes FINALLY installed!!!!