4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just installed Electric Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 05:46 AM
Flying Low

Default Just installed Electric Water Pump

I just installed electric Water pump and the Dyno only came back about 6 rwhp more then before. Has anyone else had a chance to test this mode and If so what were the results? I was 287 RWHP now it is 293 RWHP the dyno wasn't giving reliable torque numbers for some reason. I guess that what you get for getting things done at your friends shop at least it's free.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:27 AM
bigtom
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Just installed Electric Water Pump

I read in the jegs catalougue that the meziere electric pump frees over 11rwhp!
but the 4.6 pump also fits on a 5.4 and a V-10 ! so that marketing for you, those 11hp they talk about was probably from one of the larger engines not our 4.6.

So bearing that in mind 6rwhp on a 4.6 2v cant be too bad can it?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:37 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

does that water pump come with some sort of warning light in case it goes out? i've heard too many horror stories of people whose electric pump goes out and they don't even realize it til it's too late. [&:]
Old 02-27-2007, 11:34 AM
sstang
5th Gear Member

does that water pump come with some sort of warning light in case it goes out?
Do they make electric water pumps with warning lights? If so, I would get one, but if not, then it isn't worth the risk.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:28 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

you weren't expecting the 18 or so rwhp they claim were you [8D]

avg i have seen is 5-6rwhp so you are dead on what everyone else is getting and i don't know anyone who has had a premature failure with the Meziere modular water pump. I have one in my garage going on when i put the engine back in my car and the big benefit is it doesn't run on engine rpm so sitting in traffic it will cool at 100% and thats where my car tends to get hottest...thats why i went with it, the added hp is just a side benefit.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:31 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

i don't know anyone who has had a premature failure with the Meziere modular water pump.
I also believe they have a2 year warranty don't they? Is there a way to know when one fails (besides watching your gauge, lol)?
Old 02-27-2007, 08:28 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

It's my understanding they have a strong recommendation against putting those on street cars....
Old 02-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Pitt
2nd Gear Member

Where is the warning light for when the stock water pump goes out? There isnt one, so I really don't see a downside to the electric water pump....I make a habit of keeping an eye on my gauges every like 2 or 3 minutes, especially the temp gauge. Just my $0.02.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:38 AM
bigtom
2nd Gear Member

Stock water pumps have a weep hole, whenthe pump fails coolant will leak from this hole.
Thats all the warning you get besides the fact that the engine heats up super fast!
Old 03-02-2007, 11:38 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pitt

Where is the warning light for when the stock water pump goes out? There isnt one, so I really don't see a downside to the electric water pump....I make a habit of keeping an eye on my gauges every like 2 or 3 minutes, especially the temp gauge. Just my $0.02.
There is a way to hook up a warning light yourself! How many wires are attached to the waterpump and tell me their purpose. I may have a solution for you!

Quick Reply: Just installed Electric Water Pump