4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Anyone cut there stock springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:55 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Default Anyone cut there stock springs?

Anyone cut your stock springs? How much did you cut them and how were your end results? I know its better to just buy new ones. But I figure my stock springs are garbage so might as well try it... I wanna drop it to the high of sportlines if not lower.... If you have done it can you post some pics? Thanks!
Old 02-28-2007, 01:06 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Anyone cut there stock springs?

ok heres the deal cutting is fine - but not for more than a 1- 1.5 drop - lower than that it will ride like a brick. I would try cuttting about 3/4 of a rung out and remove the top isolator... should ride and look nice - but no promises over the internet - pm me when you get it done
Old 02-28-2007, 01:13 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

If that all i can see out of them. theres no point. I got eibach pro springs now and they dropped it around 1.5".... I got the rubber isolators on the upper and lower part of the springs. Have you taken your isolators out? I could only imagine metal against metal is going to mabye squeek. I dont really care if its a rougher ride.. I guess if I took mine out that would lower it mabye a half an inch

But has anyone taken enough out of the stock spring to lower it lets say 3" from stock?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:20 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

3"?? If your too cheap to buy springs then I'm sure you won't buy a bumpsteer kit that will be needed for a drop like that along with Caster Camber plates and even then you'll be wearing through the sidewall of your tires every 10kmi I'm sure you will care about your car riding like a brick when you can't stay in your seat without being comfy and your shock towers sound like they are going through the roof of your car by banging against the bumpstops! Ohh not to mention your stock struts simply cannot handle a 3inch drop. You'll have a hard time getting them to cope with a 2in. drop. You need $800 to spend to get yourcar to 3in below stock properly! Just go 1.5 like evryone else and be cheap so you can get away with it. (1.5 will still wear your tires and angle them inwards...looks like crap in my opinion!)
Old 02-28-2007, 01:27 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

3"?? If your too cheap to buy springs then I'm sure you won't buy a bumpsteer kit that will be needed for a drop like that along with Caster Camber plates and even then you'll be wearing through the sidewall of your tires every 10kmi I'm sure you will care about your car riding like a brick when you can't stay in your seat without being comfy and your shock towers sound like they are going through the roof of your car by banging against the bumpstops! Ohh not to mention your stock struts simply cannot handle a 3inch drop. You'll have a hard time getting them to cope with a 2in. drop. You need $800 to spend to get yourcar to 3in below stock properly! Just go 1.5 like evryone else and be cheap so you can get away with it. (1.5 will still wear your tires and angle them inwards...looks like crap in my opinion!)
ummm... I got eibach pro kit springs... Maximum motorsports caster camber plates, maximum motorsports bumpsteer kit and fox body rear shocks... Im being cheap because I just bought a new spec stage 2 clutch, saleen wheels and tires, sound deadening.... Oh and yeah im going to either buy or rent a fender lip roller tool before i put my new wheels on..... My 315's are already chewed up, im not going to let that happen with my new tires. Im being cheap because i have spent too much money already and im in dept. If you read the previous posts you would have known i already got a drop. Its just something for me to try, its free. If it works it works.. if not no big deal i will put the eibach springs back on... I know the front struts cant really handle it, but im willing to take that risk. I dont really care about a rough ride, i know its going to be rough really no matter what spring i go with at that drop that i want.

And eventually im going with a complete MM front suspension, so theres no point in buying new springs when i will be getting rid of them anyway.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

bump
Old 02-28-2007, 05:48 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

If anyone just cut their stock springs 3 inches and called it a day there retarded, that ride would be CRAP
Old 02-28-2007, 05:59 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

their
Old 02-28-2007, 06:01 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

When I had my stock springs out, I didn't see anyway to cut them correctly.

Either you are giving up the totally flat top spring (and that spring plate doesn't look that thick) or you are doing the same on the bottom... it just didn't look like a good idea to me.,
Old 02-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

sounds just like im only getting opinions and assumptions. Thats really not what im asking for, but thanks anyways....

Quick Reply: Anyone cut there stock springs?