4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Lets talk about what I was told about nitrous+blower

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 07:56 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Lets talk about what I was told about nitrous+blower

Why is it that more power comes from spraying the intercooler than using methanol. I've read in mags. about people getting up to 100 more hp from meth. kits. How do they do it? Meth. is an inexpensive buy and another tune is only 300 dollars here. I'd pay that for another 100 hp. I'd pay that for another 50 hp if it was safer than the nitrous. Couldn't I just get the car tuned for the nitrous?
BTW, the difference between spraying the intercooler and injecting the nitrous is the AF ratio. Injecting the nitrous will add oxygen meaning you should probably get it tuned, wet kit or not. Spraying the intercooler is just cooling the intake charge. I've seen as much as .3-.5 leaner readings on my wideband O2 on extremelycold days, so I thought spraying the intercooler would make a difference but the experts tell me that a tune is not necessary when spraying the intercooler. So remember, the difference is between cooling the charge and adding oxygen to the charge, which is a significant difference.
I know it adds extra oxygen but it also adds fuel. Wouldn't this keep the a/f ratio where it needs to be? Why does it read leaner on cold days? I thought that's what the maf is for. To read the density and temp of the air and make changes as needed as far as the fuel is concerned.
Has anybody on here ever blown a motor that had a good tune due to just too much power? If so what were you running to do it? Does anybody know where I could get a spraybar without having to buy the whole kit? A detailed pic of one would work to.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:22 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

You cannot push a stock shortblock much past 440 WHP relialbly. Anything over 450 on a acurate dynojet is a matter of when, not if.

Nitrous does NOT add fuel. It is an oxidiser. You must either increase the fuel the injectors supply or directly inject more fuel in the intake with the nitrous, nitrous itself will not burn.

His car should not be running leaner on colder days, either the meter is screwed up or his tune is. Your IAT and MAF should be compensating for any changes in outside temperature. However, a MAF will not compensate for a nitrous shot, as it cannot read the nitrous + the nitrous is much more compact than the air (even if it did flow past the sensor, it would not read it correctly).
Old 03-01-2007, 08:45 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

You cannot push a stock shortblock much past 440 WHP relialbly. Anything over 450 on a acurate dynojet is a matter of when, not if.

Nitrous does NOT add fuel. It is an oxidiser. You must either increase the fuel the injectors supply or directly inject more fuel in the intake with the nitrous, nitrous itself will not burn.

His car should not be running leaner on colder days, either the meter is screwed up or his tune is. Your IAT and MAF should be compensating for any changes in outside temperature. However, a MAF will not compensate for a nitrous shot, as it cannot read the nitrous + the nitrous is much more compact than the air (even if it did flow past the sensor, it would not read it correctly).
I agree with you. With the nitrous I should be right on the 440 mark. I'm using a wet kit so there will be extra fuel added and it will not be sprayed through the maf. However a race shop owner told me that a maf can read nitrous and that's the way he does a lot of dry kits. He said by spraying it through the maf it will add the extra fuel. I don't see how this is possible without a tune though. How can the maf know how much fuel to add with such a small amount of something else being added. I thought the maf was designed to read air not nitrous. How can you spray a dry shot through the maf without a tune? That's my question.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:05 AM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

in the words of starsky...DO IT!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:48 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

A 25 shot is a 25 shot. You might make a little more simply because you are cooling the intake tract and thus can run more timing (kinda like a methonal kit).

Why don't you just get the Snow meth kit for about the same price for kit/install
Old 03-01-2007, 12:32 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

A 25 shot is a 25 shot. You might make a little more simply because you are cooling the intake tract and thus can run more timing (kinda like a methonal kit).

Why don't you just get the Snow meth kit for about the same price for kit/install

I had one of those... came with my kit; i end up selling it, just because you have to keep refilling it... not something i wanted to do.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:19 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

I already have the nitrous kit.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:32 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

I had one of those... came with my kit; i end up selling it, just because you have to keep refilling it... not something i wanted to do.
Lazy!