4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

looking into mustang 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 02:17 AM
_UnLiMiTeD_
1st Gear Member

Default RE: looking into mustang 4.6

nuh uh, i refuse to buy a sports car/muscle car and cheap out and get a v6
Old 03-02-2007, 02:21 AM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

well without having much knowledge about them...you may be getting into more than you can handle
Old 03-02-2007, 02:29 AM
jaystang44
2nd Gear Member

trust me I got a GT auto its not bad for your first stang. But trust me after driving it for a while you will want a manual and also I wish I had a cobra as well. So go big or go home. Go for the cobra, mach, or I like the saleens as well. But my GT auto is nice to drive I have an 02 you will love it. Just stay in your price range because you dont want to drop every cent onto a car man trust me you will want to move out sooner or later or your girl friend will want you to

Hey but good luck on finding a nice one. I found my 5 min away from me with 20K for $13,750 and my insurance is about $152 a month so I hope I helped.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:09 AM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

do it. . .1! ull be happiiest man alive
Old 03-02-2007, 12:20 PM
afkid75

I agree that the 5-spd is the way to go. Nothing sounds better than downshifting and letting the pipes rumble. If you can go 5-spd.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:29 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: _UnLiMiTeD_

4.6 sohc is the 2v one im guessing. Im new to mustangs but trying to learn,
yes you are correct. If you get a mach you will have better resale and your money will not be wasted. I will never buy a 2v car ever again. Evenb though I have a stang I am a chevy guy and there's nothing like having a T/A or camaro that cheap mods mean 40+hp and easy to do at that! Get a Mach or nothing at all is what I think. The 99+ V6's are not much slower than the 96-98 V8's
Old 03-02-2007, 01:36 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Holy cow guys, you *some of you* make it sound like a regular Stock 99-04GT is a dog. They are not slow. More than enough power to pin you back and impress your friends if you wish to do so.

A GT with decent miles (30-50K) should should be had for right around 10-11K depending on the market in your area. Being that you're in Canada, you'll probably have a smaller selection of cars, but still enough to get what you want and enjoy it.

Not everyone is interested in having a 12 second car with next to no mods. I'm pretty content with my Mid 13 Potential GT with just a few mods. This guy, like me, is just looking for something quick, fun, and extremely enjoyable to drive. Exactly what the GT is made for.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:34 PM
_UnLiMiTeD_
1st Gear Member

Yes this car will not be made into a dragster, track a few times a year and thats it.And because mach 1 mustangs are hard to find here, they go for in the mid 20's. I have found a few 99 cobras for around 15 grand that look nice, i just got to figure out if i want a 5 spd in this town where theres quite a a bit of stop and go traffic, not a lot of open roads down here.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Doomtroop
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: _UnLiMiTeD_

Well for a grad present my parents are going to help me out and get a more expensive car, 12-15k. Now nobody in my house drives a 5 sp so more then likely it will be an auto, i was wondering how fast the 99-02 mustang 4.6 are. those seem to be the year thats in the price range. Also how are they for reliability? Good for DD?
Hey unlimited, I just bought 3 weeks ago a mustang GT 2002 with 50,000 Kilometres on it. I'm canadian myself and live in montreal. At first, I seriously thought about being a 99 cobra like everyone here says but I've decided to go with a GT instead.

I'm very happy with the purchase of my GT and this is the reason why:I think it's a very nice car that fits my needs perfectly. As we havea lot of snow here (it just snowed today 25 centimetres), I find it practical to have a new edge GT because I can easily drive her in winter. I just put winter tires on and about 150 lbs (or 68 Kilos) of weight in the back and it can be easily driven in the snow and acts as a great DD all year around.

Also, at first I hesitated about going with a manual transmission because Ihavn't driven myself with a 5 speed in 3 years (ever since my driving classes). However,after about aweek or 2, I found it much easier than expected to master the5 speed transmission. I'm also very suprised at how easy the car handles and can be mastered / tamed.

IMO, the4.6 L SOHC ISN'T SLOW AT ALL. If you've never driven a mustang before,I guarantee that you will be morethan satisfied with your purchase. It's still quite a fast car andonly a select few cars (that are, in most casestwice the price) will actually compete with it.

You also have to take into consideration that we're in Canada and that therefore the selection of mustangs isn't as big as in the US. Therefor, getting your hand on a 99 cobra isn't an easy task.

Finally, just to give you an idea, I bought my Mustang GT 2002 fully equipped (leather, bullit rims, mach 460 sound system and traction control) for 16K (before taxes, all costs included). After taxes, it cost me around 18K for everything (car, license, registrations, winter rims (there were none)etc.). That's in canadian dollars.

Anyways, good hunting and let me know what you get!!!

EDIT: Just to add one more thing... most people are from the US (which is prefectly fine), however, they have more mach's and cobra's down there and their winters aren't as bad as ours. Also, the gas prices in the US are cheaper than in Canada so you'll have to take that into consideration if you go with a mach1 or cobra (4V > 2V yes, but that also goes for gas). A cobra is a really nice car, don't get me wrong, but you will pay much more for a cobra in Canada because they aren't as common. Also, there are the taxes to take into consideration, immatriculation... the fact that you will need to buy 2 sets of tires and probably 1 set of winter rims for winter (you don't want toput onyour nice summer rims in winter).All theses factors are costs to take into consideration.

Also,there's the insurance... which is expensive, especially if the car is under your name.

Just a few things to think about...
Old 03-02-2007, 04:50 PM
mattmoto441
3rd Gear Member

learn to drive a stick you will have way more fun and you should buy my 2000 GT 4.6 5spd im asking $11,000

https://mustangforums.com/m_2795690/...tm.htm#2814369

Quick Reply: looking into mustang 4.6