4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

One Hell of a Tune!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 03:48 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Default RE: One Hell of a Tune!

^ No, I haven't been getting on it. I've gotten on it just one time only through one gear. I'm too scared to get on it cuz I am fully aware of how important it is. Especially on a FI car. Sorry if my post was misleading you to assume that. The improvements I saw from the tune is all from driving the car around town without getting the car into boost.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:54 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

What I noticed from the tune is overall drivability. It was easier, smoother, and more comfortable to drive. It just felt A LOT more suitable for daily driving, which is what I use it for. Like I said, I play everything on the safe side. I'll most likely get the car on a dyno tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Some of these companies that offer mail-order tunes are unbelievable and are known to almost perfectly NAIL the A/F. However, not every car responds the same way, especially if you have an existing lean/rich condition due to parts not functioning properly - a mail order tune could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

IMO, a 'custom' mail-order tune from a performance shop & not just a 'parts distributor' is the safest way to do it if you insist on doing it this way & not letting your local tuner do everything for you. It's ALWAYS important to get on a dyno and make sure the A/F is okay and make any adjustments if needed.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:13 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PWORLDSTANG

^ No, I haven't been getting on it. I've gotten on it just one time only through one gear. I'm too scared to get on it cuz I am fully aware of how important it is. Especially on a FI car. Sorry if my post was misleading you to assume that. The improvements I saw from the tune is all from driving the car around town without getting the car into boost.
I would not even be getting on it one time, but I am glad to hear that you are not out gunning it around. You do have a bit of a saftey net with the forged assembly, but just remeber it really only takes one lean condition to go pop.

+1 on what dan said. There is a WORLD of difference between a generic mail order tune and the tune that pworld is talking about, and I would never run a generic canned tune from a parts shop. Mail order tunes are not bad tunes IF the tuner you have has plenty of experence and knows what they are doing, but a a/f check is essintial with any tuner (local or not).

Its a great thing that the mustang commuinity has tuners that can do this. There is simply nobody in my area that can properly tune a FI 4.6L.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:34 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

The good news is I just got off the phone with one of the more well know Mustang tuning shops in my area. I have an appointment to get it dynoed and datalogged tomorrow morning. I was worried that they wouldn't be able to schedule me, but they did. I'll post up my chart and numbers tomorrow if everything checks out right.

My car is making this "knock" noise when I accelerate at maybe 50% throttle. But I've been trying to stay out of boost because I know that there is still a possibility that the A/F ratio could still be off. And like I said, I've only gotten on it once. I don't know if it is engine knock because I don't know what that sounds like. But it sounds like it could be more like a loose idler. I don't know how, because those things were tightened to death. But I'm putting on my exhaust tonight so I'll check it out. And the shop will be able tell for sure.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:32 AM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

Thats quite intresting. When I first bought my car it use to bog and flutter everytime I got on the gas. Stock tune and everything. I thought I had a fuel system problem. I put on my tune and all of that went away. Car ran sooooooo much smoother and alot more fun to drive. Im suprised Ford lets these car leave the assembly line running like that.