4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4v head swap requirements

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 04:42 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default 4v head swap requirements

Alright, I know this has been discussed a little, but for the most part it gets passed up as too much of a pain in the ***. While that may be the case, I'm interested in knowing what exactly is involved in swapping a set of 4v heads onto a GT engine. What all do you need to replace? Intake, timing, what else? Are there any actual modifications you'd have to make or just new parts? Also, what tuning would be involved. Would it need a whole new computer, or just a tune on the current? I'd definitely do all the work myself so I'm interested in about how much the various parts would cost to buy, no labor. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:48 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 4v head swap requirements

your looking at too much work time and money. for that cost, just get a set of ported pi heads.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:58 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: yourmom6990

your looking at too much work time and money. for that cost, just get a set of ported pi heads.
I enjoy the work though, so that doesn't bother me, and exactly what I'd need and how much it'd cost is exactly what I'm trying to find out. 4v heads are a hell of a lot better than PI.
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

From what I have seen, you are gonna basically need a donor 4v motor laying around to get all the parts off. Other than that, some people say it is a direct swap, and a few others say you can't use the GT shortblock because the coolant passages are supposedly different.

I have no personal experence with this swap, but I can tell you that from my point of view it is definatly not worth it. From what you are asking, I am assuming you would be paying a shop to do the install.... $$$ On top of that, you need basically an entire top end of a 4v car, which is hard to come by and going to be expensive.

After all that, from what I have seen its not really worth it. Going all out a 4v definatly makes more power, but I have not been overly impressed with the n/a 4v bolton only cars I have seen. I posted the video of last weekends racing a few days ago... a bone stock LS1 car was able to put down a 4v 96 cobra with a full exhaust, 4.30s, and intake boltons. I walked the same LS1 from a roll and a stop before the blower went in (boltons, cams, otherwise stock engine).

No doubt you will make more with the 4v setup, but its not worth it for the price. I have a feeling your talking about well over 2K after all is said and done.. your over halfway to a brand new shiny blower kit.
kecclest
2nd Gear Member

OMG, he just said he knows its a PITA... I'm sorry to say it dude, but you probably won't get a straight answer from anybody in here because none of us has attempted said feat... probably because everybody has been telling everybody else it isnt' worth the effort. I hope you find the information you are looking for and not just dead end answers like the last post or this one.
I'm just tired of reading responsesthat don't even come close to fulfilling your questions.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:59 PM
kecclest
2nd Gear Member

EDIT: Prior posts.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:11 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Haha, it's alright. I know very few people really do it, that's partly a good reason to want to. I can get the heads for a very good price, so aside from how much they cost I'm looking into what else I'd need. I don't really see much more than the timing setup, intake, some computer stuff, I think I read throttle body somewhere. I'm just hoping someone who knows these cars well, possibly works for ford or anything like that reads and knows what would be required. I would definitely not pay a shop to do any of it. I've been working on cars with my dad since I was a little kid and have no worry at all about almost any work on my car.

From what I understood, the blocks are the same, so I was under the impression that everything there at least would match up. I guess I could see the pistons having clearance issues, but other than that I'd think it'd be ok for bolting up. If I'm wrong then let me know and I wont bother but if it's just a lot of work then that's not a big deal. I'll take a week off work if I have to.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:23 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

just do a complete motor swap less headache , trust mei learned the hard way.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:26 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: uberstang1

just do a complete motor swap less headache , trust mei learned the hard way.
So since I'm still interested in learning what it takes regardless of if it's a headache or not, and since you're one of the few who have done it, would you care to give me a little information? I'm not asking if it's a good idea or not, I'm just asking what's involved, if for nothing else but to better my knowledge of the engines and their differences a little.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:31 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

yes it can be done, basically you do needa donor motor however - to make sure you have all of the parts. Its pretty straight forward and will bolt up to a gt block, however head work and internals in a GT will get you just aboutthe same gains w/ FI and pump gas

Quick Reply: 4v head swap requirements