4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Best heads for 4.6 2v and supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 12:12 PM
2003GT100
1st Gear Member

Default Best heads for 4.6 2v and supercharger?

I tried to search, but it seems the search on this site isn't too good.

Does anyone know which heads will develop the most power without mods to internals (just a new cam) and will work best with a supercharger? I've got a 03 GT, auto. I plan on spending $1500 for heads and 4k for the charger.

Thanks for any input... I wanna get this beast to 300 rwhp...I've only got 234 rwhp now, it's been dyno'd.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:15 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Best heads for 4.6 2v and supercharger?

Thanks for any input... I wanna get this beast to 300 rwhp...I've only got 234 rwhp now, it's been dyno'd.
What mods do you have right now? A supercharger with heads will get you well over 400 rwhp. It would definitely max out your stock internals.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:17 PM
GotYouLooking
1st Gear Member

I dont know much about superchargers but for heads you could got with VT or Patriot Stage II heads they gonna cost more than what you have to spend though so just keep saving till you have the funds. Oh and yea you will be over you goal for HP way over
Old 03-03-2007, 12:24 PM
2003GT100
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sstang

What mods do you have right now? A supercharger with heads will get you well over 400 rwhp. It would definitely max out your stock internals.
I just bought it...with 5,300 miles on it.

The guy before me had a Bassini X pipe exhaust (with shorty headers...I think...I can't really see down there, so much emissions crap on the top of the motor), K&N air charger put on and I think a SCT chip w/ the tuner computer. So other than the exhaust and the air charger kit, I think it's bone stock. The tune shop got it to 233 rwhp @ 5400 rpm. I was looking at the Patriot heads...which ones are better stage I or II?
Old 03-03-2007, 12:28 PM
GotYouLooking
1st Gear Member

Since your charging your mustang go with stage II
Old 03-03-2007, 12:55 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

If your going to be running stock internals and a supercharger there is no reason to do anything with the heads.

You can do a set of cams if you want, but it is also not nessicarry. A intercooled supercharger setup + full boltons will make as much (and more) than your stock rotatting assembly can handle. The heads would be a waste of money until you acutally forge the engine assembly.

So far as cams, you will want a blower specific cam... but its not really nessicarry with the stock shortblock.

In other words, you cannot make any more power with aftermarket cams and heads safely on the stock shortblock than you can with a stock motor and intercooled blower setup.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:55 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

If your going to be running stock internals and a supercharger there is no reason to do anything with the heads.

You can do a set of cams if you want, but it is also not nessicarry. A intercooled supercharger setup + full boltons will make as much (and more) than your stock rotatting assembly can handle. The heads would be a waste of money until you acutally forge the engine assembly.

So far as cams, you will want a blower specific cam... but its not really nessicarry with the stock shortblock.

In other words, you cannot make any more power with aftermarket cams and heads safely on the stock shortblock than you can with a stock motor and intercooled blower setup.
+1. You being an auto, you definitely don't want to go higher than 400 rwhp on the stock internals. Heads should come after you forged the internals. If you have extra money after a supercharger, than get cams instead. Personally, along with the supercharger,I would switch over to long tubes, then get a cat-back (didnt see it mentioned above), plenum, andthrottle bodyand see where you are at. Don't forget about suspension either.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:46 PM
2003GT100
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sstang

+1. You being an auto, you definitely don't want to go higher than 400 rwhp on the stock internals. Heads should come after you forged the internals. If you have extra money after a supercharger, than get cams instead. Personally, along with the supercharger,I would switch over to long tubes, then get a cat-back (didnt see it mentioned above), plenum, andthrottle bodyand see where you are at. Don't forget about suspension either.
Thanks for the input.

I think I will take your advice and go with a supercharger and new intake (and new valve covers while I'm at it to get rid of all the plastic). I won't mess with the exhaust as it sounds mean right now...maybe if the tone changes after the charger is installed.

Now the question is what supercharger. It seems either a Vortech or Procharger (no oil pan issues like with Paxton type) is the way to go. Can these be installed by a backyard mechanic? Which one is the easier install? If it's not too difficult I will install it myself and have it professionally tuned so I can get dyno results too.

Thanks again for any input... btw this car is blast to drive (not anything anyone on this forum doesn't know...) right now, I really can't wait to see what it can do when get a charger installed and dialed in.