4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

H pipe install tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 03:08 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Default H pipe install tips?

I am gettin ready to install my mac o/r H and want to know how high I should have my car lifted for an easy install. My other question is where would the best place to jack up the car should I do like left rear then right rear or is there a spot where I can lift the whole rear at once. same questionabout the front end. Right now I only have a jack that will lift 13inches do you think that is enough or should I invest in a bigger one.

I also have a question about what the H pipe comes with. Do I have to go out and buy the gasket or does it come with everything I need to install?
Old 03-04-2007, 03:28 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Default RE: H pipe install tips?

When I did mine on my 96 GT I jacked the front of the car up as high as I could safely go, and set it on jack stands. I did not raise the back of the car, just made sure it wasn't going to roll on me withe the E-brake and some boat stops behind the wheels. If you have access to a lift, that will make it easier for you though.
Also, go out and buy some PB Blaster and hit the bolts with this penetrating oil. Let it soak in for 5 or 10 minutes and it will be a lot easier to get the bolts off of the stock pipe, especially on the passenger side. Hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:58 PM
lVlustang
3rd Gear Member

Gaskets arent a must, but recommended. Honestly it is a bitch. Getting the M-Pipe of the headers is a pain in the butt. Just don't stress out, and make sure everything is tightened down pretty much to the max. Also when your done get two pieces of wood cover your exhaust tips, and have some1 else look for leaks. Don't do it for too long though.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:02 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

we jacked mine up about a foot and a half....2 jack stands where the body seam starts on the front and a jack on the differential. the only hard thing to do is getting the passenger side manifold bolt off...make sure you have lots of pb blaster and a SWIVEL HEAD SOCKET...no not a swivel and a socket but a SWIVEL HEAD...because its shorter that way and just gets in there easier...i put a X on not a H but if you try to attach it to the CB first it wont line up with the headers so you have to put it on the headers thennnn leave those bolts fairly loose then attach it to the CB...there will be some kicking involved to get it to line up right...but thats okay
Old 03-04-2007, 04:03 PM
99mustanggt
3rd Gear Member

Put anti-sieze on all of the nuts and bolts when you put it back together so its not as hard to take it off the next time.Take your time and dont get frustrated.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:05 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Is it a one piece h pipe or do you bolt it together at the h?
Old 03-04-2007, 04:07 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

so how would be the best way to jack it up, side by side or is there a place to put the jack that gets the whole front up?? so it won't come with a gasket? could I get one though at my local parts store? And i already have the PB blaster and was gonna leave it on overnight. I've thought of everything that is gonna go wrong and have prepared for just about anything because I know it will happen. I am just gonna take my time because my worst problem will be doing it too fast and having leaks.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:09 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97modifiedmustangGT

so how would be the best way to jack it up, side by side or is there a place to put the jack that gets the whole front up?? so it won't come with a gasket? could I get one though at my local parts store? And i already have the PB blaster and was gonna leave it on overnight. I've thought of everything that is gonna go wrong and have prepared for just about anything because I know it will happen. I am just gonna take my time because my worst problem will be doing it too fast and having leaks.
i forgot to buy the donut gaskets and i still don't have a leak after 80 miles or so *knocks on wood*
Old 03-04-2007, 04:11 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

missed the posts before my last must have been typing. I am pretty sure mac is not a bolt together at the h, the h part is one piece. I believe that bbk is a bolt together H.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:13 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

before you tighten it all up, put a floor jack under the H area and see how high up you can push the midpipe. you'll be glad you did, scraping midpipe on concrete is an ugly sound.

Quick Reply: H pipe install tips?