4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Our Miles Stored??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 01:51 AM
davidsv8mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default Our Miles Stored??

Ok getting a gauge cluster this week. Our my cars miles stored on my cars computer or in the gauge cluster. And if there on my cars computer when i plug my cluster in will my miles just appear as nothing has happened.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:10 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Our Miles Stored??

ORIGINAL: davidsv8mustang

Ok getting a gauge cluster this week. Our my cars miles stored on my cars computer or in the gauge cluster. And if there on my cars computer when i plug my cluster in will my miles just appear as nothing has happened.
The new cluster will read the correct milage.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:13 AM
davidsv8mustang
3rd Gear Member

K thanks thats all i needed to know

Old 03-05-2007, 02:15 AM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

haha that would be pretty badass if it went to zero huh hahaha id be buying one every oil change.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:22 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Davojan59

haha that would be pretty badass if it went to zero huh hahaha id be buying one every oil change.
In that case all you would have to do is unplug it then plug it back in, why buy???? hmmm
Old 03-05-2007, 02:25 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

I don't usually call it out but it's "are", not "our"...only said something because it made the sentence hard to read...sorry.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:28 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SVTBill

I don't usually call it out but it's "are", not "our"...only said something because it made the sentence hard to read...sorry.
I was thinkin the same thing, but if you really think about it, he could have meant exactly what it says! Meaning it is a statement like a rhetorical question and not necessarliy a direct question. Although it's a direct question and should be used with "are"!..lol I'll stop there because I think I lost everyone..lol
Old 03-05-2007, 03:19 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

You shouldnt post unless you are SURE you know what it is you are talkin about! Now this guy has WRONG info!

The mileage is stored in the CLUSTER! It is NOT stored in the computer! there has been MANY posts about this! Not only will the mileage be different, but your car will NOT start, and you may have trouble depending on what year the cluster is for and what year your car is! Check the link below for more info!

https://mustangforums.com/m_1734619/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm
Old 03-05-2007, 03:23 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SmallFeesh

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

You shouldnt post unless you are SURE you know what it is you are talkin about! Now this guy has WRONG info!

The mileage is stored in the CLUSTER! It is NOT stored in the computer! there has been MANY posts about this! Not only will the mileage be different, but your car will NOT start, and you may have trouble depending on what year the cluster is for and what year your car is! Check the link below for more info!

https://mustangforums.com/m_1734619/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm
He is talking about buying a aftermarket gauge cluster like an autometer etc.

It is a direct swap. Pull it out, swap them, plug it in, and bolt it back in.

There will be no issues with the car not starting or not reading the correct milage.

Like you said, don't post information unless you have the right answer. Code3 runs the autometer cluster, as does my buddy with a 02 GT, neither had any problems.

If you swap a cluster in from another car, espcially like the guy in the post you linked did that swapped a cobra assembly into a GT, you may run into problems. However, an aftermarket cluster specifically for your year of car will have zero problems.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:32 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Im not sure of the guages you are talking about... but I do know that if you replace the green switch board behind the cluster, it is actually attached to the cluster, this is where the mileage is stored as well as the PATS info (anti-theft device), it dosent say in his post what type of guages he is installing, I have no expeience with Auto Meter or the like guages, so I am unsure how they install...

Quick Reply: Our Miles Stored??