4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Having trouble taking out my stock stereo...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 02:11 PM
InferRedd
2nd Gear Member

Default Having trouble taking out my stock stereo...

I tried taking out my stock stereo and there is something that I can't find that is holding on to it. A clamp or a screw.

The stereo is dual function - -> radio on top and CD player on bottom. I'm just looking to take out the radio and replace it. And keep the CD player in so there wontbe a hole.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Having trouble taking out my stock stereo...

For the radio cassette you have to insert nails or something similar into the two holes on each side to release the clips.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:27 PM
InferRedd
2nd Gear Member

If thats what it's for and thatsall I have to do, then I feel like a bag of douche!
Old 03-05-2007, 02:39 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

eh, i'll give you 10 minutes to come back and say "wtf", it sounds easy but its harder than you think,you have to release all of them at the same time. take your time and wiggle it around, i took a coat hanger, cut it off at the two bends (giving 2"-3" for the prongs) giving it a U shape, stuck them in the holes and squeezed to grip the head unit as it wiggled out. It'll feel like you have to push a little but thats unlocking the mechanism good luck
Old 03-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

+1 on the coat hanger. i didn't have the "tool" that's required, so i made one from a hanger
Old 03-05-2007, 02:45 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

You can go to local parts store or walmart/walgreens. They have the clips to take the stereo out! They look like U bolts but kinda skinny. They have locks on the end. You slide both of them on each side of the radio where you see hose small holes spaced about 1.5" apart. They lock into place and the radio should slide oyut pretty easily! The cost about$8
Old 03-05-2007, 02:52 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

You can go to local parts store or walmart/walgreens. They have the clips to take the stereo out! They look like U bolts but kinda skinny. They have locks on the end. You slide both of them on each side of the radio where you see hose small holes spaced about 1.5" apart. They lock into place and the radio should slide oyut pretty easily! The cost about$8
+1 ....I paid 4 bucks for a cheap set .used them yesterday on the install of my tach bracket....or the coat hanger will work....So hard to find a metal hanger anymore though....
Old 03-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

I used a metal hanger and you just have to work at it. There are four holes that you put the "U"s in and then it should come out. I took both of mine out and got an "accessory" compartment to put into the open space. That at least finishes it up and cleans it up. That way you dont have a hole or a CD player that you dont use.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:26 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

Go to your nearest Ford Dealer and ask for "Ford Keys" to remover your radio. They run around $10 and they are handy to have. You never know when one of your friends will have the same problem.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:33 PM
options2rx7
1st Gear Member

i have a 98 gt with the mach system. i just put in a new head unit a week ago. i went to advance auto parts and got the keys for 3 bucks. the key is u shaped with notches at the end to clasp on to the side of the radio. its as simple as sliding them in and pulling it out. theres no need to go to the dealer and pay their ghey prices. I got the wiring harness from circuit city for the mach system for 20 bucks. i think its the same price but different model no. for the non mach systems.

Quick Reply: Having trouble taking out my stock stereo...