4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Long Tubes???? yay or nay

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:44 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Long Tubes???? yay or nay

So whats the difference in all of these companies? What makes the price different? Do they use different metal and different shape or what?

I'm leaning towards MAC just because of the price haha. ALSO, are all shorty midpipes off road? Because I kind of need cats, is there a such thing as a shorty midpipe with cats, I'm not sure I've seen one.

edit: never mind, I saw one on macperformance.com its like 360 bucks though! basically as much as the full length midpipe, geez.

P.S. Do I really need Ceramic? Or can I just stick with HTS coated?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

I went with shorties, but I was looking at a set of long tube Heddman headers, very good quality and inexpensive. Check out Jegs and Summit.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:12 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

This is what I will most likely end up getting to go with my MAC catback.

http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...roducts_id=630

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product/MACTF9603

Decent prices and cats on a shorty midpipe. Emissions are a pain where I live.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:15 AM
DeltaV
3rd Gear Member

LT FTW. I love longtubes not only of the performance but also for the sound. Worth all 500,000 pennies i paid for them!
Old 03-06-2007, 12:22 AM
tj00stang4.6

i have just recently installed bbk ceramic lt's on my car and the sound and the perfermance i got out of the car was amazing. the long tubes were sort of a pain in the rear to install but a good friend and i were able to do them at work by simply dropping the k-member with the car in the air, but it was definitly worth it.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:16 AM
GTMustang6921
2nd Gear Member

only do headers if ur supercharging it, otherwise it doesnt do all that much, but does sound better but can be a pain. the header bolts tend to loosen up sometimes....
Old 03-06-2007, 01:21 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

only do headers if ur supercharging it, otherwise it doesnt do all that much, but does sound better but can be a pain. the header bolts tend to loosen up sometimes....
That just makes no sense at all. LTs are definitely required to see good power from S/C's, but they are definitely one of the top 3 mods for N/A cars.

So whats the difference in all of these companies? What makes the price different? Do they use different metal and different shape or what?

I'm leaning towards MAC just because of the price haha. ALSO, are all shorty midpipes off road? Because I kind of need cats, is there a such thing as a shorty midpipe with cats, I'm not sure I've seen one.

edit: never mind, I saw one on macperformance.com its like 360 bucks though! basically as much as the full length midpipe, geez.

P.S. Do I really need Ceramic? Or can I just stick with HTS coated?
Difference in prices is that the MAC LT's are HTS coated which is a coating yes, but inferior to Ceramic and Jet Hot coatings. BBK uses ceramic coating, and SLP is both SS and ceramic coated. Those would deal with the price differences you see.

A lot of people go with an offroad pipe due to the low price. You are paying about $100 more for cats, so that is the price difference there. There are ways to get around no cats, like private inspections and tuners, however, cats are not a bad thing at all... you will just pay a little more.

I guess you don't really need ceramic. Coating is better than no coating, however, HTS coating is < Ceramic coating. By how much? I couldn't tell you. But like I said, Mitch (Code3GT) has MAC headers and loves them. However, be prepared for possible modifications needed with MAC LT's. This was exactly why I paid a little more for the BBK LTs too, because I had been hearing of trouble with the fitment of MACs.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:44 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

check ebay for deals on headers... i got some brand new ceramic coated BBK LT's for 405 to my door... and that was from a company on ebay... BBK and MAC are good in my book.. i have installed both and well they were both a pain in the *** but fit up real well and didnt require much beating with a hammer or anything to get it to fit..
Old 03-06-2007, 02:01 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Thanks everyone. Has anyone else had fitment problems with mac or bbk headers?? And do they make interior drone/resonance really bad??
Old 03-06-2007, 02:12 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

I can vouge for myself and a bunch of others, BBK fits like a glove. If he has installed MAC's with no problems, they must have fixed their faults. Either is a good choice, I just went for the middleman, because that's who I am[8D]

Headers don't have anything to do with the resonance really, it is mainly all the type of catback invovled.

Quick Reply: Long Tubes???? yay or nay