4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Long Tubes???? yay or nay

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 10:39 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default Long Tubes???? yay or nay

I have a buncha bolt ons. My exhaust is just a catback. My next step was gonna be a midpipe, but I wanna know about headers too so I can get the right size midpipe. Are long tubes really worth it on a bolt on 2v? How much gains will I really see? I don't plan on FI until maybe in a few years, or maybe not at all. So what do you guys think about getting headers?? Also what do they make the SOUND like? I know it will be louder, and I know the catback is the biggest part of sound, but how do headers change the sound?

So worth it, yes or no?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Rantheman
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Long Tubes???? yay or nay

you will see some gains better then shorties I though it was worth for power and sound
Old 03-05-2007, 10:44 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

I have a buncha bolt ons. My exhaust is just a catback. My next step was gonna be a midpipe, but I wanna know about headers too so I can get the right size midpipe. Are long tubes really worth it on a bolt on 2v? How much gains will I really see? I don't plan on FI until maybe in a few years, or maybe not at all. So what do you guys think about getting headers?? Also what do they make the SOUND like? I know it will be louder, and I know the catback is the biggest part of sound, but how do headers change the sound?

So worth it, yes or no?
Yes. Without a doubt. Other than a S/C or a cam, there is nothing else that will see gains like LT's. Dyno proven, most LT's will see in the range of 15-17 rwhp alone, paired with a midpipe and catback somewhere around the 20+ rwhp range. I would grab the headers and the X at the same time, due to the length issue you mentioned. Definitely worth it, one of the best mods for our 2V's.

Yea the catback plays the biggest role pending on the midpipe selection. Depending on the midpipe (catted or o/r) it could play the biggest role, o/r being a HELL of a lot louder than catted and will change the exhaust note quite a bit. Only thing the headers will really do is give the overall tone a deeper sound.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:47 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Thanks meebix. There are only a few manufacturers of headers, like Mac, BBK, and kooks?? Those are like the only ones I've heard. Any suggestions? Best company for price and quality?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

LTs give 15rwhp? Hm thats a new one in my book. If thats really true then i guess im going to look into them.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:51 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

LTs give 15rwhp? Hm thats a new one in my book. If thats really true then i guess im going to look into them.
Easily.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:55 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Thanks meebix. There are only a few manufacturers of headers, like Mac, BBK, and kooks?? Those are like the only ones I've heard. Any suggestions? Best company for price and quality?
Most people go with the big three, if you will, which are MAC, BBK, SLP. If you want a higher end you can go with Kooks or Dynatech.

Any of the mentioned above will work for you, because you have a 5spd. All are coated and for the pricing:
MAC - around 350
BBK - 500
SLP - 700

I believe both Kooks and Dynatech are 800+.

The best value header is BBK without a doubt, can't beat the quality for your money. That's whay I have and I have a lot of company. I would have possibly going with SLP, but I knew I would have to go with their complete system due to them using clamps instead of flanges (every other header). This meaning I couldn't mix and match parts, it would have to be SLP headers and SLP X. Don't be afriad of MAC though if you don't want to spend the money. I know Code3GT has them and loves them, only problem he said was that they had to be modified a little to fit perfectly.

Good luck!
Old 03-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

My longtubes sound good... But if you buy me midlength headers and midpipe ill give you my headers and mid pipe and ill buy you an offroad mid pipe too.... I like everythign about mine, except its way too low to the ground. I have Eibach pro-kit springs, didnt drop my car enough but I have 3" of clearance from any part of my exhaust and the ground... No lie, I measured and have pics if interested. If you plan on lowering your car lower than 1.5" you should seriously consider midlength or just shortys. I am going with coil overs eventually and will be atleast 1.5" lower so I probably will end up swaping my headers for mids or shorties.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:56 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Hooker Super Comps are the best impo.
Ceramic coated outside and request an inside coating as well.
You can get them in a 3" collector and a 3.5" collector, just use a 3"-2.5 or 2.75" collector to make them work better on your car. 3" doesnt really fit too well with our cars, stainlessworks also has some great stuff too.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:27 PM
airborne22
2nd Gear Member

What else besides just the headers shorty mid-pipe O2 extensions and MIL elliminators if anything would you need to get this installed?

Quick Reply: Long Tubes???? yay or nay