4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Very confused LOWERING

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 03:56 AM
gdoc89
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Very confused LOWERING

You gotta shop around a little....Eibach prokit, used, e-bay - $120, Tokico HP's, brand new, e-bay - $279 for f&r, Steeda c/c, never used, e-bay - $130. Total just over $500 for quality components. The only "if" is the springs. If they end up sagging like I've heard, I'll probably switch to the H&R supersports. May as well have some fun with it!
Old 03-06-2007, 04:00 AM
gdoc89
1st Gear Member

BTW....from all I've heard.....the Steeda's weren't even necessary, but I couldn't pass up the savings.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:07 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

ORIGINAL: Pitt

In the same boat here. Been lookin at some prices, think I might go with H&R super sports ($239 from cardomain.com), Strange 10 way adjustable shocks/struts 2x$69.50 and 2x$119.50, MM C/C paltes think was about $190 = $810 more or less. Ouch kinda steep. And then I need alignment after.
See fu*k that! That is definatley not worth a 2" difference in my opinion. Im going with the 1" drop and calling it a day! Thanks for making up my mind lol . I have a more importatnt mods to worry about.
The only difference is at about 800 bucks you are only about 150-200 away from doing a complete suspension (all you need is upper/lower control arms).

I would not drop the car more than 1 inch (I just don't like the look) but its something to think about anyway (getting all the other parts) as the car will launch TOTALLY different after you get the parts, not to mention you can change the shocks/struts at will to go from a drag car to a well handling car in the blink of an eye.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:50 AM
tool fan
2nd Gear Member

Thread robber here,

I have my own question. The Bullits were from factory 3/4 inch lower than the GT. If I get lowering springs it will drop me at least another inch right??? Will I need CC plates, bumpsteer deals and control arms for a drop?? Or could I get away with just springs. I have Tokico shocks already.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:07 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

In the same boat here. Been lookin at some prices, think I might go with H&R super sports ($239 from cardomain.com), Strange 10 way adjustable shocks/struts 2x$69.50 and 2x$119.50, MM C/C paltes think was about $190 = $810 more or less. Ouch kinda steep. And then I need alignment after.
See fu*k that! That is definatley not worth a 2" difference in my opinion. Im going with the 1" drop and calling it a day! Thanks for making up my mind lol . I have a more importatnt mods to worry about.
The only difference is at about 800 bucks you are only about 150-200 away from doing a complete suspension (all you need is upper/lower control arms).

I would not drop the car more than 1 inch (I just don't like the look) but its something to think about anyway (getting all the other parts) as the car will launch TOTALLY different after you get the parts, not to mention you can change the shocks/struts at will to go from a drag car to a well handling car in the blink of an eye.
Upper control arms are the worst things you can buy for performance reasons...
Old 03-06-2007, 05:15 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aereon

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

not sure what your basing this on... they are basically exactly the same as the stockers, only with a stronger design so they don't flex like crazy.

My uppers and the stockers were exactly the same size/shape and dimiensions. the only real difference is the stocker is made out of a piece of junk stamped steel, and the aftermarket ones are solid tubes with a much more substaintial thickness (which will reduce flex).

There isn't any chance they will HURT performance anyway. I honestly cannot say they made any difference (as I didn't do a direct comparsion with them only) but they are definatly not hurting it either.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:15 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

I have the Eibach Pro kit on my car... it was on it when I bought it, so I am guessing probably 3-4 years with the Pro Kit, no troubles, perfect alignment, no uneven tire wear, but it rides like ****! A little hard over the bumps! I would choose something else... but all in all it is a setup that works, nothing else is needed... wether it rides worse than a stck GT, I havent the foggiest! I have used Eiback though in the past and found it to be great! But I have always used the sport line... which probably rides a bit better.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:16 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aereon

Why is that may I ask??
Old 03-06-2007, 05:20 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SmallFeesh

I have the Eibach Pro kit on my car... it was on it when I bought it, so I am guessing probably 3-4 years with the Pro Kit, no troubles, perfect alignment, no uneven tire wear, but it rides like ****! A little hard over the bumps! I would choose something else... but all in all it is a setup that works, nothing else is needed... wether it rides worse than a stck GT, I havent the foggiest! I have used Eiback though in the past and found it to be great! But I have always used the sport line... which probably rides a bit better.
What shocks/struts are on the car?
Old 03-06-2007, 05:24 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Stock... there may lie the problem... but the car has ridden like this since my friend originally bought it with 13k miles on her! It now has 56k miles on it... at least I think they are stock... I remember lookin them over and comming to that conclusion.... I will have to look at em' again! I had to get the part number off the springs to find out they were Eibach Pro Kit.

Quick Reply: Very confused LOWERING