4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

catted vs non?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 08:38 PM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

Default catted vs non?

alright guys, im really sorry i know this has beaten like a dead horse, but i cannot seem to get luck from the search, someone please make it better lol.

so anyways heres my question. Im looking into slp lt headers with the x midpipe. Now i originally was set on getting the catted ones, but i KNOW that i can free up even moer horsepower without cats so is there any way that I can get the Offroad X and be able to pass emissions by tricking the computer? I would much rather have the O/R than the catted but it all depends on wether or not there is a way to defeat the inspection computer.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:42 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: catted vs non?

The difference in horsepower is all but non-existant. High flow cats are going to make you lose maybe 2 HP. Get whatever sounds better to you.

As for tricking the computer, that's what MIL Eliminators are for, that or get a tuner and turn off the sensors completely. That'll make it pass the OBD-II. Then you just have to find a place that won't do visual when they hear how loud it is and how it smells. Go to some place that looks like they are lazy as hell and couldn't be bothered to put it up on a lift JUST to look at the pipes. Most places wont bother probably.

Edit: Of course I don't know how strict NY is, talk to some other people in NY and see what they say. Here in NC I'm pretty sure I can bring it to most places and they could care less as long as it's passing OBD-II
Old 03-06-2007, 08:49 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

most places will not pass with long tube headers let alone a non-catted mid pipe...i say if your going for the headers then get a o/r mid pipe if u like it louder
Old 03-06-2007, 08:49 PM
02bluegtstang
I ♥ Acer

get offroad pipe...you'll like it better...specially a MAC Prochamber

o and for inspections, find a friend that knows someone that will write it off....i found someone that will write it off for $80 when inspection time comes around...
Old 03-06-2007, 08:52 PM
onewheelmik

i am installing a bbk x pipe w no cats and flowmasters this saturday. i'll tell you how they sound if that helps at all.As far as hp Aj is right. It's pretty much insignifigant.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:54 PM
nofear2606
1st Gear Member

go with no cats- i had both and no cats are 100x better in my opinion. i have a garage that hooks me up with a inspection sticker for the regular 30 bucks. he just "pretends" he doesnt notice the loudness etc, i have the sensors turned off so it all works out.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:55 PM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

well i dont hafta worry bout sound or smell . .. heres why

my pops works where i get it inspected . Oh yea . . he does the inspection too, but he cannot just gimme a sticker cuz they are really cracking down so he HAS to put me on the computer, now where can i get mil eliminators, any of you have a good link? thank you so much for the imput!! you 4.6 guys are the best on the forums
Old 03-06-2007, 08:57 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IownaMustangNow

well i dont hafta worry bout sound or smell . .. heres why

my pops works where i get it inspected . Oh yea . . he does the inspection too, but he cannot just gimme a sticker cuz they are really cracking down so he HAS to put me on the computer, now where can i get mil eliminators, any of you have a good link? thank you so much for the imput!! you 4.6 guys are the best on the forums
Oh, hell yeah then, get the MIL Eliminators (from anywhere) or better yet get it tuned to turn them off and he can pass you easy.

Edit: Here are some eliminators from good old AmericanMuscle.com: http://www.americanmuscle.com/stmilel.html. That or I just got some BBKs from ebay for like $20. Some people say they don't work as well but I haven't had a problem yet and if I do, I've only lost $20.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:05 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

not to steal the thread but does the sound change at all from when you go from a stock midpipe (6 cats) to a high flow 2 catted one?
Old 03-06-2007, 09:15 PM
RipTide7
3rd Gear Member

^i have no actual expierence with this, so technicaly i shouldnt give advice, so my OPINION is that, yea, itll be lots louder..

Quick Reply: catted vs non?