4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mach 1 anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Sparks232
2nd Gear Member

Default Mach 1 anybody?

Alright...i know i know..... ive got a V6 right now, but insurance used to be killer, ive been ticket free for 3 years and all but 1 of my tickets is off my record.. So ive decided its time to look into a V-8 Im thinking and ive almost gotten settled on a Mach 1.I know it comes with the 32V cobra engine in it with different gears in the rear end and the obvious shaker hood. but is there anybody who has a mach 1 and could give me advice on if you are happy with it...or if you wish you would have gotten an 03-04 cobra with the supercharger instead, or if you are happy with the Mach 1 ...just all the pro's and con's about having a mach 1. and is the insurance the in the same catagory as the GT or as the Cobra, i know my insurance company has a section for V6 GT and cobra. nothin for mach 1, roush, or saleen...thanks for the info guys/gals
Old 03-06-2007, 08:52 PM
203Mach1ne
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Mach 1 anybody?

Can't tell you anything about insurance because I have Dealer plates [sm=happy046.gif]
But I can tell you about the Mach 1, as I was in the same boat as you--Mach or Terminator?
Since I figured it would be a long time before finding a nice terminator around here for sale for a good price, I decided to hop on the Mach 1 ($16K with only 21K miles)
It's a huge upgrade from my 1994 5.0L 5-speed mustang GT...very fast car, responds great with simple bolt-ons because it's a 4V, and has tons of potential
However, if you plan on doing some serious mods, it's better to get a cobra since its already got forged internals, compared to the mach (5-speed) which only has a forged crank

Old 03-06-2007, 08:56 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sparks232

Alright...i know i know..... ive got a V6 right now, but insurance used to be killer, ive been ticket free for 3 years and all but 1 of my tickets is off my record.. So ive decided its time to look into a V-8 Im thinking and ive almost gotten settled on a Mach 1.I know it comes with the 32V cobra engine in it with different gears in the rear end and the obvious shaker hood. but is there anybody who has a mach 1 and could give me advice on if you are happy with it...or if you wish you would have gotten an 03-04 cobra with the supercharger instead, or if you are happy with the Mach 1 ...just all the pro's and con's about having a mach 1. and is the insurance the in the same catagory as the GT or as the Cobra, i know my insurance company has a section for V6 GT and cobra. nothin for mach 1, roush, or saleen...thanks for the info guys/gals
Its a 32v, but theres not much Cobra about it
Old 03-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Sparks232
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

ORIGINAL: Sparks232

Its a 32v, but theres not much Cobra about it
was i mislead? a buddy of mine with an 01 cobra was saying that the 01 cobra and the 03/04 Mach 1 had basically the exact same engine in it... is that not true?
Old 03-06-2007, 09:39 PM
99mustang0
4th Gear Member

You won't be dissapointed if you choose the mach 1. I love mine. As far as insurance, im pretty sure its in the gt category. All you would have to do is give them the vin # and they can give you an estimate on price.
If your friend has an 01 cobra then you can kind of get an idea of how fast the machs are. Although the gearing is 3.55 stock with the mach 1s.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:57 PM
Sparks232
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99mustang0

You won't be dissapointed if you choose the mach 1. I love mine. As far as insurance, im pretty sure its in the gt category. All you would have to do is give them the vin # and they can give you an estimate on price.
If your friend has an 01 cobra then you can kind of get an idea of how fast the machs are. Although the gearing is 3.55 stock with the mach 1s.
what do the 99 cobras come stock with...im guessing its not 3.55, Well its good to hear i wont be dissappointed with it. I heard this mach 1 a couple months ago and it had SLP exhaust on it. it sounded so badass....but is it too loud? like i want to get something that is going to turn heads but not be tacky. let me know what you think about it. and i was thinking about the Azure blue...and replace the side black stickers with white ones. and take the hood sticker off....and paint 2 white stripes all the way from thebottom of the front bumper to the bottom of the back bumper. i really need to get rid of this V6. this clutch problem is killin me
Old 03-09-2007, 12:26 AM
QatarStang
4th Gear Member

Please dont do the white stripes....

And yes, the mach engine is about the same as the '01 cobra engines, although none of them had the teksid block (capable of holding 900 rwhp). However, other than being a 32 valve 4.6, the mach does not have a similar engine to the terminators.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:39 AM
jc04m1

I have owned Roush3, an '04 Cobra, anda GT prior to buying the Mach.(wife worked for Ford at the corp level..)While all were awesome in their own way, the Mach is by far my favorite. I realize people are gonna disagree but i feel the Mach has reponded very well to the mods thus far and feels great to drive. The 4V is an excellent choice and by adding your own mods and F/I you can't go wrong. The lines both interiorally and on the exterior are great and the RAI is just cool IMO!!
Old 03-09-2007, 12:42 AM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: QatarStang

And yes, the mach engine is about the same as the '01 cobra engines, although none of them had the teksid block (capable of holding 900 rwhp). However, other than being a 32 valve 4.6, the mach does not have a similar engine to the terminators.
The Mach 1 has the same heads as the terminators. The Mach 1 and 99/01 Cobra motors are not the same. 99/01s had the C port heads IIRC. The manual Mach 1s came with a forged crank...don't think the 99/01 Cobras did. They are fairly similar in function but when looking at "details" they're fairly different.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Sparks232
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: QatarStang

Well ill re-think the white stripes....
and thanks for the info on the engine stuff...and thanks to everybodies responses....i am DEFINATELY getting the mach1 over the cobra. Thanks alot!

Quick Reply: Mach 1 anybody?