4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

WHEN IS IT TO MUCH AIR........

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 05:05 AM
NORMAN99
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: WHEN IS IT TO MUCH AIR........

2000GT 4.6,
So, what you are saying if the air filter gets to much air or left out in the open, it should not cause an engine stall?As you can tell im a newbe moterhead so i need all the advice and theories i can get.

And no i don't have a boost/vacum guage handy.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:48 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NORMAN99

2000GT 4.6,
So, what you are saying if the air filter gets to much air or left out in the open, it should not cause an engine stall?As you can tell im a newbe moterhead so i need all the advice and theories i can get.

And no i don't have a boost/vacum guage handy.
What I am saying is that it is impossible to get "to much" air into the system.

The MAF reads how much air is going in, and the computer sets the fuel accordingly. You should not be having stall/idle problems while rolling with the clutch in.

You would have to acutally pressurise the air in the intake to acutally force more air into the engine, which is not going to happen with a ram air intake.

In any case, pressure or no, the MAF is going to read how much air is acutally getting into the engine and adjust accordingly.

As stated, the C&L setups have NOTHING between the meter and the filter. You cannot run anything bigger than that... since there is literally nothing between the maf and the filter. The MAF does not need to be changed due to changes in the intake tract before the maf.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:51 AM
na svt

2000GT4.6

Beleive what you want, but the fact is Ram Air setups can cause problems. I've experienced it, and I've seen others experience it. The problem is this, the MAF senses how much air passes thru it. Any excess pressure aft of the MAF will causereverse flow thru the MAF. So, the result is that the MAF's airflow countsoscillate (go from high to low). This occurs during steady state operation and when coasting down to a stop with the clutch pedal depressed.

The engine can only use so much air, so when the air pressure in the intake tractis to high, the flow backs up. It's simple physics that can be seen if you have the ability to do real time datalogging.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:49 PM
TheMustangLoveR
2nd Gear Member

Isn't the concept simple, like so: If you have air when you expect it, things work like usual. Say you have a blower making several pounds of boost. When you hit the gas (expecting air) you build boost and everything is great. What happens when you let off the gas? I honestly have no idea how forced induction works, but I'm assuming that when you let off the throttle (meaning you want to enter the idling state) you need to get rid of this excess boost (air) and therefore there is some boost blow-off valve or something of that nature that gets ride of this now unwanted boost. Am I correct so far? If I'm right then, then with this ram-air set-up, I'm assuming that the same applies, in that if you have excess air coming in when you don't want it (throttle is not depressed) then you can experience surging or whatever weird things might happen when the computer is reading air but the throttle is in fact not depressed.

**Then again, how much air could possibly be coming in via a ram-air system if you are not going, say, in excess of 50mph? I'm assuming not very much.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:13 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TheMustangLoveR

Isn't the concept simple, like so: If you have air when you expect it, things work like usual. Say you have a blower making several pounds of boost. When you hit the gas (expecting air) you build boost and everything is great. What happens when you let off the gas? I honestly have no idea how forced induction works, but I'm assuming that when you let off the throttle (meaning you want to enter the idling state) you need to get rid of this excess boost (air) and therefore there is some boost blow-off valve or something of that nature that gets ride of this now unwanted boost. Am I correct so far? If I'm right then, then with this ram-air set-up, I'm assuming that the same applies, in that if you have excess air coming in when you don't want it (throttle is not depressed) then you can experience surging or whatever weird things might happen when the computer is reading air but the throttle is in fact not depressed.

**Then again, how much air could possibly be coming in via a ram-air system if you are not going, say, in excess of 50mph? I'm assuming not very much.
nope, the engine will still be using all the air, no "unused air"

Old 03-09-2007, 11:32 PM
NORMAN99
2nd Gear Member

Maybe i have an issue with my blow back pressure.? On my intake hose thereare two tubes comming off of it which could be for the blow back pressure. I have already changed my throttle position sensor and no joy.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:35 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Those 2 tubes are for your pcv and iac. Have you tried cleaning your iac?
Old 03-10-2007, 12:18 AM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Those 2 tubes are for your pcv and iac. Have you tried cleaning your iac?
Seems alot more likely to me than a ram air or open fender setup...

BTW, he said he has a "functional hood scoop" not RAM air, and he opened the fenderwell, so basically at a stop he wouldnt get any more air than a stock setup...
Old 03-10-2007, 02:20 AM
NORMAN99
2nd Gear Member

oxfordgt,
No i have not looked at or cleaned my iac yet. I will have to do that just to clear that out of the way.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:24 AM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

And if the problem occurs mostly after hard driving I would look at the TPS too. If it happens all the time I doubt its the TPS. TPS=Throttle Position Sensor