4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

the dynamics of a good cam-head combo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 11:00 AM
yellowstang98
3rd Gear Member

Default the dynamics of a good cam-head combo?

i have read the articles in MM&FF on flow testing heads but i still dont really understand how the numbers relate to eachother, and how is it that you go about getting a set of cams that will work best with the heads. i mean i know that everyone tells the 96-98gt guys to just buy the PI heads but what if you wanted to get a good set of aftermarket, would it be worth the money in regards to the PI? or is it better to just get the PI and maybe one day port and polish? i know this is a loaded question but any info would help to clarify. thanks
Old 11-04-2004, 03:11 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: the dynamics of a good cam-head combo?

Their aren't any aftermarket heads for 4.6's, other than stock ported ones. As far as picking a set of cams, you should ensure that the rest of your induction system will compliment the cams you choose. Since the stock non-pi heads and intake flow so poorly above 5000 rpm, it wouldn't be wise to go with a set of cams that are designed to make peak power at 6000 rpm, as all you'll be left with is the loss of power the overlap on the cams give you in the low rpm range and you won't get any of that power up top because the heads and intake are getting choked out.

A set of stock PI heads and a good cam designed to make good power up to about 6200 rpm would be a good combo, which is why so many folks (like myself) recommend VT cams for PI cars. You don't want a set of VT cams on your stock headed car because of where they make power. If your wanting to keep your stock heads then look into Comp or another company that makes lower lift, lower duration cams for 4.6's.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:31 PM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

Steeda has heads for 2v 4.6's.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:56 PM
yellowstang98
3rd Gear Member

94-what have you heard about them?
Old 11-04-2004, 06:18 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

Your best bet is really to get a set of PI heads because not only do they flow much better, but they can also accomodate cams with higher valve lifts than non-PI heads, so you can get some really extreme cam profiles. Like MD said though cams are only effective if they complement your induction system. Too big will hurt you just as much as too small.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:28 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

steeda sells stock heads or the Ford Racing heads which arent really any better than PI's and are kinda a mix of both pi & non-pi
Old 11-04-2004, 06:35 PM
yellowstang98
3rd Gear Member

well im in the process of getting the PI's. there are a couple of them on Ebay that i am watching... But you MD if i get the PI heads and then the vt cams, would i have to change my rev, b/c wont i be making power all the way until like 6500? and another thing, until i get the PI heads and vt cams shouldnt i be shifting out of gears when i get to say 5500 b/c if i am not mistake dont i lose power that high up, so im figuring i want my power band to stay high so i should shift earlier than you for instance who makes power all the way through the rpm range....
Old 11-04-2004, 06:36 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

your gonna want a PI intake as well, or you'll be missin out. and your gonna need to be shiftin at 6000 - 6200 if you wanna take advantage of those cams... with a tune you'll be makin 300 rwhp up there or real close
Old 11-04-2004, 11:50 PM
1{}D{}{V}{}DGT
2nd Gear Member

yo md how much hp would i be lookin at with pi heads pi cams pi intake and with a custom tune???
Old 11-05-2004, 12:01 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

same as a similartly modded 99+ with about 10 extra hp from the added compression.

Quick Reply: the dynamics of a good cam-head combo?