4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What is most cost effectve brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 01:04 AM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Default What is most cost effectve brake upgrade

Hi all,

The last thing on my list is a brake upgrade. I have heard of a Bullit upgrade, is this a kit? I would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible. Would just better rotors be beneficial? Any help will be appreciated

Thanks
Old 03-09-2007, 01:20 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What is most cost effectve brake upgrade

go on buyfordracing.com get yourself the mach1 brakes kit, and if you want to pick yourself up the cobra rear brake kit for an additional 170 from them
alltogether, if you install yourslef, it'd be around 500
Old 03-09-2007, 01:24 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

i have the bullit brake kit... its the same thing as the cobra, mach1 and bullit brakes.. basically the only difference is are the symbols on the brakes... the car stops much better.. the kit comes with the calipers and some new brembo rotors... you can even upgrade to the slotted and drilled after that... my car stops on a dime with just that front brake upgrade and some new hawk pads out back..
Old 03-09-2007, 01:29 AM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, it looks like you have Bullit rims as well in your avatar, they cleared the brakes ok?. Like Aereon was saying buyfordracing has the kits, I will prolly go Bullit/mach up front, good pads out back

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

i have the bullit brake kit... its the same thing as the cobra, mach1 and bullit brakes.. basically the only difference is are the symbols on the brakes... the car stops much better.. the kit comes with the calipers and some new brembo rotors... you can even upgrade to the slotted and drilled after that... my car stops on a dime with just that front brake upgrade and some new hawk pads out back..
Old 03-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

mach kit is cheaper and the exact same as the bullitt kit, I have the mach kit up front and will be buying the rear cobra kit when i upgrade my rear end, they clear 17" bullitts just fine, dont expect to be able to use your donut tho
Old 03-09-2007, 01:53 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Armydad

Thanks, it looks like you have Bullit rims as well in your avatar, they cleared the brakes ok?. Like Aereon was saying buyfordracing has the kits, I will prolly go Bullit/mach up front, good pads out back

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

yes, i have the bullit wheels in front and then DD bullits out back... and they work perfectly... the brakes are suppose to clear on stock cobra and mach 1 and bullitt wheels... which all have the same backspacing as any GT (i think?)... they look close, but do not touch at all.

thats the same setup i did.. good pads out back and the bullits out front.. the bullit ones are red with the pony.. there is a pic of them actually in my gallery if your intrested.. shows how they look with the wheels... eventually when i have the money im going to invest into some new rotors/pads for the front. and stainless steel lines.. then new rotors for the back.. and see how good a mustang can really stop. heh
Old 03-09-2007, 02:04 AM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

new pads for the rear cost almost as much as the rear upgrade kit...only thing is you have to pull the axles right?...what color is the car (i forgot)...i like the Bullitt calipers because they are red with the pony...but then the red is too bright for my red (i have seen them on another Laser Red stang and they looked out of place) so i will be getting the plain Mach ones that don't say anything on them (black too...maybe add the pony decal later)

oh yea and the Bullitt came stock with our rims and they cleared the brakes fine
Old 03-09-2007, 02:06 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: laserred38

new pads for the rear cost almost as much as the rear upgrade kit...only thing is you have to pull the axles right?...what color is the car (i forgot)...i like the Bullitt calipers because they are red with the pony...but then the red is too bright for my red (i have seen them on another Laser Red stang and they looked out of place) so i will be getting the plain Mach ones that don't say anything on them (black too...maybe add the pony decal later)

oh yea and the Bullitt came stock with our rims and they cleared the brakes fine
yea, the axles have to be pulled.. i would be doing this upgrade... but im not sure if you can fit 15 inch rims on the bigger calipers and such with the cobras in the back.... i need the 15 inch rims for a set of slicks to hook up at the track.. otherwise the cobra setup would be a good choice
Old 03-09-2007, 02:49 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aereon

go on buyfordracing.com get yourself the mach1 brakes kit, and if you want to pick yourself up the cobra rear brake kit for an additional 170 from them
alltogether, if you install yourslef, it'd be around 500
Can you provide a link with the rear upgrade that cheap?? I could only find it for like 400 bucks!

+1 on the cobra/mach1/bullitt upgrade up front. All 3 are the same (other than colors), I went with the "bullitt" to get the red calipers w/pony.

The car stops ALOT better now and just feels more sure when braking. bullitt upgrade ftw!
Old 03-09-2007, 02:54 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...roducts_id=594 <-- buy this for 299 and caliper paint for $5, save $54 before tax, bullitt upgrade kit is a waste at 359.99
http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...roducts_id=477 <--- 175 before shipping and taxes

Quick Reply: What is most cost effectve brake upgrade