MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   First mods completed on the cobra (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/256379-first-mods-completed-on-the-cobra.html)

PushinTheLimit 03-09-2007 05:43 AM

First mods completed on the cobra

I decided to get out and finally put some of this stuff on the Cobra that I've been waiting to do for so long. First things first, I gave the car a quick rinse and waited to use some Meguires to get the water spots out. When I got that done, I removed the silver COBRA letters in the rear bumper. They looked good... but I had some stainless steel ones to take their place. The letters weren't hard to take off as I thought they might be. The hardest part about this was getting the damn letters to line up as close to possible. I know they aren't perfect, but they look pretty good... much better than just the silver.

Next was to put on the MRT Cobra shift knob that I bought awhile back. Everything straight forward here. I just wish I could get my cobra in the knob to line up a lil more in the center but oh well.

The next mod was something that I was told to help keep my car running cooler (since the Eaton can become an oven after a good amount of useage). Its called the hood vent mod. Terminators come factory with a hood that has heat extractors... but they dont use them. There is a flap that covers them up. Well, so I decided to take them off or cut them off. First thing was to remove the hood blanket from underneath. This was a lil hard cuz all those pins were hard to come out. So I took the blanket completely off, lucky for me, my hood under that blanket was painted so I decided to just leave the blanket off for now. Looks pretty clean like this. Anyways, I cut the flap off the vents and thought I would test drive it a lil and see how the heat does. I get out of the car and sure enough, there seems to be alot more heat going thru the extractors now so that was successful.

Next mods to come, MRT catted H and MGW short throw... both of which have been bought so I'm just waiting on the delivery as of right now.

2000GT4.6 03-09-2007 06:50 AM

RE: First mods completed on the cobra

Before doing anything else to your cobra I would do the coolant passage mod to keep everything nice and safe.

Remeber to get a dyno check even after a exhaust install. Might be a good time to just say screw it and get a pulley too... can't beileve there is acutally still a stock pulley 03 out there :)

1BAD3V 03-09-2007 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Before doing anything else to your cobra I would do the coolant passage mod to keep everything nice and safe.

Remeber to get a dyno check even after a exhaust install. Might be a good time to just say screw it and get a pulley too... can't beileve there is acutally still a stock pulley 03 out there :)
Dont his sig say 2.8 pulley and he has an 04.

PushinTheLimit 03-09-2007 10:40 AM

Oh no, its not the stock pulley. Its a 2.80 like my sig says. Its already tuned for that. But with that came some extra heat so opening up the vents is just one way of getting things a lil cooler. I'll be doing more cooling mods later on when I get more funds for it. Don't let the pulley guard fool you...its cut out on the side to let the ider fit. Although apparently, its already serving its purpose, into making you think its a stock pulley :D

PWORLDSTANG 03-09-2007 12:53 PM

The hood mod really does let a lot more heat out. It's done on my car. And I cut the flaps off also.When I'm at a stand still with the engine on or off after it has been on for a few minutes, you can literally see the heat waves leaving through the vents. So that mods does help let out all that damn heat the Eaton produces.

When you took your COBRA lettering out, where they the Vinyl inserts or the ones that stick to thecar with the adhesive?

red2k1gt 03-09-2007 01:05 PM

I've heard rumors that if you take that hood blanket off you could end up with the engine heat making some paint bubbles on top of the hood.

Dan04COBRA 03-09-2007 01:07 PM

Sweet!

Interesting about the heat extractor vents. Mine are already cut-out, so I had no idea about this.

Was it like this from the factory for both the 03 & 04?

BTW, there are a lot of barely modded 03/04's out. I don't know why everyone has the notion that none are stock... :D

PWORLDSTANG 03-09-2007 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Sweet!

Interesting about the heat extractor vents. Mine are already cut-out, so I had no idea about this.

Was it like this from the factory for both the 03 & 04?

BTW, there are a lot of barely modded 03/04's out. I don't know why everyone has the notion that none are stock... :D
Do you mean your entire vents are cut out or just the flaps?

If your entire vents are cut out entirely, then it will have the same affect. But I would assume it would let out even more heat than if they were on because there would be nothing restricting the heat from escaping. But the vents do protect your engine from getting water and **** into it. That's why I keep mine on. But there are some who remove them entirely. But with the vents on still on, there is a flap directly underneath them. It's useless and somewhat blocks the vent and traps all that hot air right before it is suppose to escape. It'll take 10 seconds to cutboth flaps off.Then you'll see the heat waves leaving the engine bay. They came with thevents and hood blanket from the factory in both '03 and '04.

GoldenEagle, sorry to HiJack your thread. Lol. I had to answer Dan's question... But the inserts that you removed from your car, were they Vinyl inserts, or did they stick with the adhesive?

Brute03 03-09-2007 01:53 PM

ORIGINAL: red2k1gt

I've heard rumors that if you take that hood blanket off you could end up with the engine heat making some paint bubbles on top of the hood.
i've had mine off for a year now and the paint is still perfect

72MachOne99GT 03-09-2007 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Brute03

ORIGINAL: red2k1gt

I was going to ask the same thing. I know alot of parts of your car that aer painted get pretty hot, but I would have thought that having hot air leavind directly from the engine compartment coming up through the hood and what not, that there would be a potential for harming the paint....good to hear it doesn't though.

Let us know how that shifter feels once you get it goldeneagle,, granted you're on a real transmission and I have a t-45, ive been very close to getting the MGW for this spring.

i've had mine off for a year now and the paint is still perfect