4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

JLT RAI help (Going lean?)

Old 03-13-2007, 10:12 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Default JLT RAI help (Going lean?)

So i've heard from many that it causes your engine to run lean and others I've heard that the MAF or whatever is supposed to compensate for the greater amounts of air being sucked in. My question is say I put it on my mach tomorrow, would damage immediately occur or is it a through out time kinda deal?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:16 PM
TorchRed04GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: JLT RAI help (Going lean?)

GT goes lean and Mach'a and Cobras go a little rich. Look at the dyno sheets on JLT's website.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:20 PM
203Mach1ne
4th Gear Member

a RAI shouldn't effect your car enough to make it unsafe for daily driving, so you should be fine..
When paired with other mods like full exhaust or MAF etc. etc, this is when you should invest in a dyno tune to level it out
Old 03-13-2007, 10:22 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 203Mach1ne

a RAI shouldn't effect your car enough to make it unsafe for daily driving, so you should be fine..
When paired with other mods like full exhaust or MAF etc. etc, this is when you should invest in a dyno tune to level it out
Oh because I figured with my MAC catback on right now and getting my Magnaflow xpipe put on this week..does that make it "full" enough for the exhaust to get a tune?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:21 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

i drove around for a year with predator canned tune, intake, intake spacer, x pipe and catback with no problems, it was a little rich
Old 03-14-2007, 10:40 AM
203Mach1ne
4th Gear Member

"full" meaning catback, midpipe, and Headers
you should be fine without a tune, but it's always a good idea--knowing your car is running fine, and also picking up a few hps in the process
Old 03-14-2007, 12:22 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

This question has been asked a few times and is a misconception. It won't make it lean to the point where it's hurting your engine and is unsafe to drive. It just simply sucks in more air, thus leaning out your A/F ratio because of that. But again, not enough air to the point where it's hurting you in any kind of way. Your MAF sensor can and should compensate by reading the increased airflow and add more fuel.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:56 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Also, I just learned something that my tuner told me that I should share with you guys in case some of you guys didn't know.

An intake can cause a cars A/F ratio to go lean to an unsafe level if the MAF sensor position isn't the same as it were before you installed the intake. So if the MAF moved from an 11o'clock position on your intaketo a 7 o'clock position on your intake, it could affect you A/F ratio and cause your car to run unsafely lean. The reason for this is because the MAF will read the air intake at different temperatures depending on it's position on the intake. So if it was mounted directly on top of the intake before, and you move it to the side or underneath the intake after you intstall it, it will suck in warmer air (less air). Then your computer will read the new air flow and try to compensate by adding less fuel.

So try to keep your MAF sensors in the same position whenever you need to take it off or remove the intake for whatever reason. Ideally it should be at an 11-12 o'clock position.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:02 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

hey brandon maybe you would know or anybody else can chime in on this. With me having full bolt ons meaning full intake and full exhaust and all the other mods minus LT headers would it be a good idea to get it on a dyno and check my A/F ratio and possible go dyno tune? I wanna be safe as possible
Old 03-14-2007, 01:03 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Do you already have a Predator or X Cal 2 tune on your car?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JLT RAI help (Going lean?)