4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

rev limiter

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 12:45 PM
salvatore
1st Gear Member

Default rev limiter

hello everyone newbie here with dumb ?. I recently bought a 2001 yellow gt. Currently i have 17K miles on it and is a 5 speed tranny. My question is about the rev limiter. Is there supposted to be one stock? I reved into redline the other day with no restictions and was wondering why? All i was told was it has minor work done to it. BBk throttle body and plenum. BBk intake,flowmaster catback. I was never told about a cam or anything either and someone riding with me the other day said it sounds like it has a cam. I do notice a big increase in hp/tq at 3K on the tach, huge difference i should say. When it hits 3 grand wot its time to shift because as soon as you see 3 it jumps right to red.

Please anyone jump in and help me all is appreciated.
p.s. it has a saleen kit but no saleen badges
Old 03-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: rev limiter

the 4.6 makes its power up in the revs, and in the lower gears (1, 2, and 3)it does rev quick above 3k rpms. the rev limited isnt set right at the redline, its a little bit into it. i forget what its set at, but i wanna say a tad over 6k rpms. as for it having cams, you would definitly be able to tell just by the way it idles. if it has an aggresive idle, chances are you have a cam upgrade.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:00 PM
tool fan
2nd Gear Member

Yeah...... try to stay out of that "red" area. Not really good for the engine.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:10 PM
salvatore
1st Gear Member

[align=left]I went pretty far into the red i know it was more then 6. I was reving it up in my garage not paying attention to the rpm's because i was busy trying to listen to the car as the wife was trying to talk to me. Thats when i said I think it never hit the rev limiter, let me pay attention and do it again. Well i went definately past 6 and no rev limiter.
It sounds aggressive at idle. Not like a looping sound but kinda like a metal sound. Not a bad metal sound either. And no it has oil.lol
[/align]
Old 03-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Jennings Racing
2nd Gear Member

Hell stick it to the floor and wait tell it pops.LOL
Old 03-14-2007, 02:05 PM
salvatore
1st Gear Member

wait run that one by again. My floor doesnt pop. lol
Old 03-14-2007, 02:35 PM
BullittCruzin01
1st Gear Member

its beginning to smell a lot like smoke....
Old 03-14-2007, 02:39 PM
salvatore
1st Gear Member

then put your window down
[align=left] [/align]
Old 03-14-2007, 02:55 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

hitting the rev limiter and over reving the engine are two different things, maybe your car had a custom tuner or dyno tune?

im not sure where the stock limiter is but its like 6200 or something... it doesnt matter i shift no higher than 6 when i get on it. peak power is at 5250 anyway with stock cams.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:43 PM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

Someone with a tuner may have pushed the limiter up farther then stock. Stock is around 6,200 RPMs. I would advise you to get a tuner on there and set it back down to that. No more going past 6k. Your motor is stretched out and not making power above 5200 like mvr said. Your most likely floating the valve train at that engine speed and causing pre-mature wear. If your worried about over revs during racing, get a shift-light or just punch out at the stock 5800 redline. As long as you dont get nervous and miss a bad shift during a race you wont over-rev it.

Quick Reply: rev limiter