4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How did you learn?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 02:28 AM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How did you learn?

I learned all the basics online and from friends trying to help me out. Once i got that down i had the chance to tear apart a car with a locked engine...didn't really know what i was doing but it helped get a feel for the basics. I also had a chance to take auto tech classes in school where instead of poking around, was actually helping the teacher with tech 3 diagnostics and engine repair (changing timing sprockets at the time) and was able to rebuild my very own engine the first year. I say best way to learn is to find something you don't mind messing up and starting from the bottom, having someone knowlegable helps too
Old 03-15-2007, 02:30 AM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

I'm not very hands on. I guess I can figure out some of the very basic things(thanks to my friends lol) but if anything semi-big/big happens I'm done
Old 03-15-2007, 02:31 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

I wont lie.. im not really tech savvy..

but I'd love to learn..

ive done the basic spark plugs, oil filter/fuel filter.. change oil... etc...

gonna do a shifter this spring..
im like 90% of the other motorists on the road though, in when it really comes to doing something major, i'm up a **** creek with no paddle
Me too. I've learned a ton on this site...but am still intimidated by doing intermediate work on the car myself.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:33 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

i just went out and did it... i have never done a motor swap before.. until now. and i dont even have a manual to this thing on how to pull and change motors and all torque specs... if you need to know something, it can be found online for the most part... if not, ask on here and someone can help... i would say go out to sears and buy a decent craftsman tool set for all the work you will be doing in the future. hell, i tried to take automotive classes in school but they wouldnt let me take them because they know my back ground with mechanical work... lol
Old 03-15-2007, 02:34 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

List of Suckers
3. 72MachOne99GT
2. Quick Shot xMLx
1. BleedinBlue

look quick shot..... you made another one of my count down lists!
Old 03-15-2007, 02:47 AM
LX90
2nd Gear Member

Everyone has pretty much covered it here. I learned when I was young, around 9, with my dads help, he hated working on cars, but knew how, so he taught me so he didn't have to do it anymore haha. This site is a great tool to help you, there are plenty of good people here who know what's going on. If I didn't know something, I'd look online, in the repair manual, and then just jump in. I've broken tools, parts and replacement parts haha, but thats how you learn. There was a few times I'd have to walk to work or school, .
Old 03-15-2007, 02:52 AM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

started really getting into it with my dad whenI was about 12 and my uncles always had mustangs, gto's etc and I used to work on mom and dads car with him everything from brakes and oil changes to top end motorbuilds etc...then I finally got an Iroc-Z when I turned 16 which I taught myself how to drive in a weeks(1st5spd) time I used to take it up and down the street before it was reg around the neighbor learning and he helped me with that for 2 yrs and that was really my teaching tool if there was something on that car I could take off besides body panels it was out or apart some how and eventually he got older and I did it more myself and just been teaching myself how to do everything ever since and wouldn't change a thing.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:21 AM
cahtr6
3rd Gear Member

Just like everyone else has said I have been working on cars since I was 15 mostly self taught some schooling on it. My advice is start with easier tasks first then go to more complicated ones. This is an awseome forum don't be afraid to ask questions. When your modifications get complicated be prepared to have your car down for a while.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:34 AM
tehzack
2nd Gear Member

My family has always been centered around cars. My dad started teaching about things as early as I can remember. Most of the things I know i've taught myself though. No project is ever too big. As long as the bolts you have left over aren't that big you'll be just fine.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:34 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Me and my dad built this baby when I was 14. It all started with a 9.5 GT, sold it, bought a crate motor, built the damn thing! Me and my dad didn't so much as build a BBQ before the Cobra. We asked ALOT of questions on a Cobra forum, and my dad went to a build school for 3 days out in Flint, Michigan. I took autoshop in 10th grade, and that summer, I bought my GT. Just went ahead and wrenched away, because I pretty much knew everything there is to know by then. Now I just build more experience.

Heres the cobra: Ford Motorsport 392 bored crate engine, Holley 670cfm carb,TKO600 with short shifter, 3.73 rear end, new axles, coilovers all around, 315 Eagle F1's in the back, and makin 450rwhp, 460rwtq, just on the stock motor. No mods yet, but I see some coming soon. Almost finished!!!

Quick Reply: How did you learn?