4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

a harsh reality has set in....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 05:28 PM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

Default RE: a harsh reality has set in....

camaros are so cheap and ugly inside..the exterior isnt that nice either..the best camaro ive seenn is my friends 96 lt1..its red with nice rims that look like saleens thats prolly y it looks nice bcuz of the rims.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:28 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

Heads cams exhaust and supercharger still are worth low 12's maybe high 11's on a perfect day

It definatly isn't nessicarry to do any engine work whatsoever to run low 12s or high 11s in a FI 2v mustang.

On even a bone stock car + a supercharger you have enough power to run 12s.Your talking about a 350~ WHP car. With a little suspension work, some sticky tires, and a good 60' even mid/low 12s arn't out of the question. If your willing to run slicks + a built 8.8andsuspension/weight reductionyou can still run low 12s/high 11s on only 350 WHP (or less, just ask code).

With 420 WHP, really heavy wheels/tires, and absolutly no weight reduction (unless you count the spare tire and jack lol) and a fairly wimpy 1.90 60' I ran a 12.4 just last weekend... the first time at the track (for car or driver) ever. I do have a set of cams, but you can easily make 420 WHP (and more)on a intercooled setup with a completely stock motor.

Doing anything to the heads and even the cams is almost pointless (unless you have a non intercooled setup like mine)on a stock bottom end GT. The bottom end itself is the limit, not the heads/cams/intake. Almost any supercharger setup on a 99-04 GT with the proper boltons can exceed the power limit of the stock shortblock.

Assuming your talking about a aftermarket shortblock/heads/cams car its going to be far far faster than low 12s/high 11s. MPH has a 60x WHP car on the stock heads/intake running on pumpgas (I/C novi 2000). Your talking asolid mid/low 10 second catergory.

I can tell you one thing I did regret after getting the vortech kit... not getting it sooner. If I could go back and do it all over again, the vortech would have been the first thing on the car (other than maybe gears). I would have put up with having a completely stock car and saved like crazy, cause it was definatly worth it in the end.

You can always go back to doing the rest of the boltons later, but if your intention is to go FI I don't see many reasons to not get it right away.You can either spend thousands on boltons and have a 265~ WHP car... or you can spend thousands on a supercharger kit and make 350~, with every bolton going on after that making much more power.

Edit: So far as the engine holding up, I put my kit on at 70K miles. I have had zero issues, and when the car comes out of the garage it usually gets driven hard. So long as the car has had proper maintence done (aka it runs well when you install the kit) the supercharger should not be causing any problems. If your worried about realiablity having a basically otherwise stock car would be an even better idea... limiting the WHP made to around 360 will reduce the strain on the entire car anyway. A 8 PSI car making 360~ WHP should last a long long time with the proper tune and maintence.

Edit 2: everyone complains about the 2Vs intake package, but what you should be complaining about is the wimpy stock rotating assembly. The heads and intake really arnt that bad (but aftermarket cams really help) you just have to either force or spray the air down into them. The real problem is the wimpy stock shortblock, a limitation every modular engine unless you have the fortune of owning a ford that has FI right from the factory.

2vs, even with stock heads, are making LOTS of power now.It was only a matter of time before the aftermarket and the cheap availibilty of the cars made shops start paying attention to them. There are ALOT of 2v mustang GTs out there...
Old 03-15-2007, 05:33 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Damn good info dude...[sm=hail.gif]
Old 03-15-2007, 05:45 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Agreed, but there are so many variables at the track. You know as well as I do. I mean consistantly low 12's high 11's. I ran my car last week and got a 12.97 but the variables were in my favor. Perfect night track was perfect and I ran slicks. But I don't post I have a high 12 sec car, because I intend on averaging the season not one time slip
Old 03-15-2007, 05:48 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Agreed, but there are so many variables at the track. You know as well as I do. I mean consistantly low 12's high 11's. I ran my car last week and got a 12.97 but the variables were in my favor. Perfect night track was perfect and I ran slicks. But I don't post I have a high 12 sec car, because I intend on averaging the season not one time slip
Shiit you ran 12.sec you got a 12 sec car. to hell with averaging times... world class sprinters dont average there times when they break records.if i ran 12's id brag all day haha
Old 03-15-2007, 05:50 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Red02GT

Plus chicks dig Mustangs. It's a proven fact. Put some chrome on that drop and take it to the strip. See how many chicks you can pull. ( That is unless you are hideously ugly)
hahahahah lol
Old 03-15-2007, 05:52 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

It was the raptor shift light [:-]
ORIGINAL: H0SS302

Shiit you ran 12.sec you got a 12 sec car. to hell with averaging times... world class sprinters dont average there times when they break records.if i ran 12's id brag all day haha
Old 03-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Sweet, maybe I should get a shift light lol.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:12 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: H0SS302

and yes i relize bolt ons add power, but to me $300-400 for 5hp just isnt gonna cut it.
Are KB worth the extra money?

The KB vs CENTRI debate...that's always a 50/50 split decision.. and always leads to a heated debate b/c it's all a matter of opinion... I am personallypartial toKB but that's just me.. I would say it depends on your intended use. I have come to the realization that there is always somebody out there with a faster car so trying to build the fastest street car on the road is just stupid and not worth it... Not to mention that most drivers don't have the skills to take full advantage of the cars potential anyway.. and thus most cars are limited to their driver.... I am building a mean street car with only occasional track use..and since KB's are a positive displacement blower it will give me the instant boost that I am looking for, for a lot of fun on daily driving as well as the ability to smoke the occasional ricer, etc.. .. I have yet to really hear a negative thing about the KB's.. I know that the centri's are good but build boost at a higher rpm.. but they also have the potential for higher overall hp soIf I was building a mostly track car with occasional street use i would go with a centri... basically you have more money and instant boost vs cheaper, higher hp potential, but develops boost a bit slower... bust like I said in the beginning it's all a matter of personal opinion/preference..
Old 03-15-2007, 06:16 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

KB are good if you have forged internals because of the beating they will take, so get a KB if you can spend the money on a built motor. That would be the best plan of attack IMO.
ORIGINAL: shadowfoxx

The KB vs CENTRI debate...that's always a 50/50 split decision.. and always leads to a heated debate b/c it's all a matter of opinion... I am personallypartial toKB but that's just me.. I would say it depends on your intended use. I have come to the realization that there is always somebody out there with a faster car so trying to build the fastest street car on the road is just stupid and not worth it... I am building a mean street car with only occasional track use..and since KB's are a positive displacement blower it will give me the instant boost that I am looking for, for a lot of fun on daily driving as well as the ability to smoke the occasional ricer, etc.. .. I have yet to really hear a negative thing about the KB's.. I know that the centri's are good but build boost at a higher rpm.. but they also have the potential for higher overall hp soIf I was building a mostly track car with occasional street use i would go with a centri... basically you have more money and instant boost vs cheaper high hp potential but develops boost a bit slower... bust like I said in the beginning it's all a matter of personal opinion/preference..

Quick Reply: a harsh reality has set in....