4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

a harsh reality has set in....

Old 03-15-2007, 02:03 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Default a harsh reality has set in....

Ok now that the "new car smell" has worn off, iv relized that mustangs are slow as ****. and from what iv leaned on here bolt on dont really do a damn thing for you so i figure the only way to go is to blow the car.
So Im going to work my *** off this summer to buy a supercharger. if i get a supercharger what will i need to get supporting wise for it? im looking into a centrifigal supercharger of some type with like 8lbs or so of boost. with that low of boost i wouldnt haveto change out the bottom end would I?

any other suggestions?
Old 03-15-2007, 02:11 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: a harsh reality has set in....

No, but if it's your only car and cant afford a new shortblock I wouldnt buy it. Meaning, my car has 80+k on it on stock engine other than the intake manifold, but I realize something could break at any time. You cant tell for sure 100% whats going to happen, odds are it will be fine, but you just never know.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: H0SS302

Ok now that the "new car smell" has worn off, iv relized that mustangs are slow as ****. and from what iv leaned on here bolt on dont really do a damn thing for you so i figure the only way to go is to blow the car.
So Im going to work my *** off this summer to buy a supercharger. if i get a supercharger what will i need to get supporting wise for it? im looking into a centrifigal supercharger of some type with like 8lbs or so of boost. with that low of boost i wouldnt haveto change out the bottom end would I?

any other suggestions?
Not entirely true... For one a supercharger by itself doesn't do much either without supporting it with the needed bolt-ons. (fuel system upgrades, intake, exhaust, wires, gears, tuning, etc)

Secondly most people that add intakes or exhaust and just leave it at that or do other bolt-ons have their expectations set WAY to high. Some think a cold air kit will add 20hp to your motor. Maybe on a motor that is fully built with s/c or turbo etc. But a stock block will see at most 5hp at the engine. Exhaust 8-10 depending on what you do, underdrive pullies will allow your engine to get more HP to the rear wheels etc.

Best thing you can do for your vert right now is get a handheld tunner and maybe some gears. Get the gears put in and go to a dyno shop and have them tune your car. At the very least you will have abasic, very basic foundation for forced induction.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:18 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

any other suggestions?

odds are you will be fine and will only really need the s/c kit and a good tune.. as long as you have a good dyno tune and keep the hp around 400 you will be fine.. If you are going with a centi s/c then personally I would go with a procharger but paxton/novi and vortech are good too... but either way if you are going with a centri s/c you should also get gears.. It is not a necessity but would definitely enhance the feel.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:32 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shadowfoxx

any other suggestions?

odds are you will be fine and will only really need the s/c kit and a good tune.. as long as you have a good dyno tune and keep the hp around 400 you will be fine.. If you are going with a centi s/c then personally I would go with a procharger but paxton/novi and vortech are good too... but either way if you are going with a centri s/c you should also get gears.. It is not a necessity but would definitely enhance the feel.
Thanks for the input..

and yes i relize bolt ons add power, but to me $300-400 for 5hp just isnt gonna cut it.
Are KB worth the extra money?
Old 03-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Is your car auto?
Old 03-15-2007, 04:37 PM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

sounds like a case of needing a supercharger.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:38 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

**** NO! no offence to n e autos out there but, i think its weak to have a sports car with auto. auto=0 fun for me
Old 03-15-2007, 04:39 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Heads cams exhaust and supercharger still are worth low 12's maybe high 11's on a perfect day
Old 03-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

+1
Auto verts are slow stock. So you have one good thing in having a 5spd. I am adding full boltons to my car with head work, cams, and gears. Just can't wait to get it back together to see how slow it still is

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a harsh reality has set in....