4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine noise!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 05:01 PM
HOLLYWOOD99
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Engine noise!!!!

My car does the same thing, oil smells ok, there is no change in color, and no shavings....

i really dont want to do a rebuild, but i would like to know what the problem is as well!
Old 03-16-2007, 05:06 PM
REDSTALION
2nd Gear Member

well there is no shavings in the oil, but the colour looks like it has not been changed for a realy long time, and i have changed it recently as i mentioned, it looks realy dark brown and little bit of black mixed with it.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:10 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Here are some of the things that could be wrong with your car: broken ring lands, scratched cyl walls, bad valve seals, bad pcv all of which could cause oil consumption. Spun rod bearings, spun main bearings, collapsed lash adjuster, collapsed timing chain tensioner, loose manifold all of which can cause your noise.

Do you see any smoke from the exhaust, oil fill (cap removed)?

Do a compression test. A tester cost $15 at auto zone and if you don't know how to do it PM me and I'll give you a small write up on how to do it.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:16 PM
04MustangGT
2nd Gear Member

OxfordGT is awesome...trust him
Old 03-16-2007, 05:44 PM
REDSTALION
2nd Gear Member

pm sent
Old 03-16-2007, 06:19 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

PM sent
Old 03-16-2007, 07:43 PM
REDSTALION
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

PM sent
thanks for the help
Old 03-16-2007, 08:00 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I have had a few people PM me about the compression test so I'll just post what I told SVT here.

Buy the compression tester at auto zone. Looks like a hose with a guage on the end. You can also buy a remote starter for a few bucks if you dont have anybody to help you. Unplug all of your fuel injectors, remove all spark plugs (check them at that point for anything lean, I can give you a site when I get home with different pics of spark plug porblems), and remove your intake tube. Take a piece of paper and draw 8 circles big enough to write in to represent the cylinders. Screw the hose for the compression tester into the first spark plug hole. turn the key or push the remote start and let the engine turn 3-4 times. Make sure you hold the throttle blade in the throttle body wide open while cranking. Write down the amount of psi the gauge reads (should be around 160) on that paper in the circle for that cylinder. Do this with all 8 cylinders. If any of the cylinders read 140 or less you have problems. Let me know your results and I will help you with further test.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:55 AM
SuperNooblet

So, I'm going to try this one more time. I tried to reply to his twice last night but could never make a connection once the message was down for some reason.[:'(]

Ok, once upona time in Augusta, Georgia, I stumbled upon this Performance Red '03 Mustang GT. I bought it the next day from a "reputable" and brought it home with me. 2 weeks later I start noticing a little rattle coming from the engine block when the car was at idle and i was standing outside the car. I took it back to the dealer to see what might be the case. They washed the car (literally) and gave it back to me stating that the last time I washed it, I prolly got water in the engine somewhere.

This is really a long story full of ineptitude and the false guarantee of extended warrantees. But I won't bore you all with that.

2 or 3 weeks later, I started hearing the same noise coming from the block at idle while in my car with the doors shut. I took it back to the dealer to tell them it was getting worse. They washed it again (and again it was to get the outside sparkly) and said they saw no problem with the car.

Well, a month or so after that, I could here the knocking over my exhaust and the noise of wind resistance while at speed and under heavy acceleration. That was scary. So that weekend, I take off my modded parts, put the origiinal stuff back on and bring it to Ford.

I don't really know where to go with this right now....ok, so, they run diagnostics on it all night (which was prolly 30 minutes tops in reality) and they decide to drain the oil, yank the exhaust out, pull the engine out and disassemble it down to the block. The next day I get a call asking how much money I'm willing to spend. That wasn't a fun part of my life.

They invite me to visit my stangs hospital bed and explain to me what exactly is going on. And here is my answer to you. Well, at least from the information that I gathered from your posts. Especially the part where you wre a couple quarts low.

They tell me that due to excessive sludge build-up, therewere pumps not supplying the cam belt tensioners with sufficient oil to keep the tensioners tight against the cam belts. This was allowing the belts to push back on the tensioners and thusly the tensioners whacked against the head walls.

So the decision was this: 1. Have Ford clean out the entire engine and oil pan and replace all the oil lines, 2. I tow the car and engine home and clean it all up myself, or 3. Buy a new engine. I bought a new engine.

That's about all I got

Old 03-17-2007, 07:02 PM
bb 460
1st Gear Member

If you've been running low quality fuel or such that might cause detonation and thus remove the hard hypereutectic coating on the pistons. the noise would be piston slap.