4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Vert to Coupe swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 08:24 PM
jmat2407
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Vert to Coupe swap

Im sorry but thats just not smart man. Not worth the time (and money I guess that you spent to get that v6). You do realize that there is a company that manufactures and sells hard tops for new edge stangs?. It looks identical as a coupe and is place right over where you conv, top goes. Once on it looks just as any other coup out on the streets. On days you want a vert, simply unbolt it and store it in the garage on a stand and there you go. Oh and it leaves the stock top in tack and funtional also just in case you get far away from home and the weather starts to go bad on you.

BTW this is all just IMO going off the assumption you dont like the vert for looks reason. Now if your doing it for weight/drag racing purposes(which I highly doubt your going to make the car that much faster during the time you own it that those extra few tenths in the 1/4 will justify you swapping the whole car over to a coupe) but even then I say its not worth it.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:35 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

this is probably the dumbest idea ive ever heard. what is the point behind this, if you want a coupe just go buy one im sure you can sell your vert and just strait up buy a coupe instead of having a v6 coupe with a motor swap worth nothing and a cobra vert stripped and worth nothing, unless u totalled the cobra or something
Old 03-15-2007, 08:53 PM
BigTurbo6
2nd Gear Member

Insurance fraud??? gotta be FTW!
Old 03-15-2007, 09:36 PM
midnightsnake83
2nd Gear Member

Yeah its all about the insurance fraud, f*cking idiot! Lets see why I dont want to buy a hardtop, too much f*cking money that I dont have, selling parts off the V6 and paying no more than $1000 dollars back to the guy I'll be buying it from, is alot cheaper then buying abrand new car.FYI I have NOT bought the car yet. I dont want a hardtop vert like the pontiac G6. Im not doing it for looks or weight, but to learn about mustangs and about cars. Its a project that will really teach me all about mustangs. If you think its a bad idea, thats fine,I respect your opinion. You guys are all about finding the cheapest exhaust you can find without looking at the performance gains, but you dont hear me telling you that the parts you have suck; I let you do what you do and think what you think, even though its the worst possible thing you could do, besides make it sound like a ricer. Let me be unique and not like everybody on the forum and respect that I want to do something different.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:47 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

sounds like a fun project but i think i would rather have a covert but that sounds like a learning experience
Old 03-15-2007, 09:48 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

The funny thing is, most of the people in here have o/r h, borla, flowmasteror magnapacks i dunno what rock youve been under, but none of the above mentioned is really that cheap.If you want cheap exhaust, do to a geo metro forum. And dont knock on their cars, they werent knocking on yours... just telling you a better way to do it. If you cant respect their opinion THEN DONT ASK FOR IT. you seem like the "know it all" type do it yourself if you dont like the response you get.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:54 PM
viper104
2nd Gear Member

my god that sounds like fun! are you going to keep the engine stock?anyway you go take lots of pics and let us know if you find any little tricks
Old 03-15-2007, 09:57 PM
^iLLuSiOn^
2nd Gear Member

i dont really see it as being a big learning experience.... if you were going to rebuild the motor and throw a blower on it...... then put in in a v6 body then id say it may be worth it...
Old 03-15-2007, 10:04 PM
jmat2407
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: midnightsnake83

Yeah its all about the insurance fraud, f*cking idiot! Lets see why I dont want to buy a hardtop, too much f*cking money that I dont have, selling parts off the V6 and paying no more than $1000 dollars back to the guy I'll be buying it from, is alot cheaper then buying abrand new car.FYI I have NOT bought the car yet. I dont want a hardtop vert like the pontiac G6. Im not doing it for looks or weight, but to learn about mustangs and about cars. Its a project that will really teach me all about mustangs. If you think its a bad idea, thats fine,I respect your opinion. You guys are all about finding the cheapest exhaust you can find without looking at the performance gains, but you dont hear me telling you that the parts you have suck; I let you do what you do and think what you think, even though its the worst possible thing you could do, besides make it sound like a ricer. Let me be unique and not like everybody on the forum and respect that I want to do something different.
Ok, 4 things I noticed here.
1) A hardtop, painted to match whatever color you want, will only run you about a $1000 also.
2) Why not? Once the top is up is looks the exact same as a coupe.[&:]
3) If you really want to tear a car down then why not just get a cheap *** old 94-99 v6 and take it apart and see IF you even can put THAT back togeather right.
4) Perfoemance? Please DO NOT try and tell me this is for ANY type of performance gain. Yes ok you will chase a a few tenths due to the less weight. But you still have the IRS ( because the v6 has a usless 7.5 which you'll have to remove) so you rear end is still going to wheel hop so your not going to notice you being one bit faster when your driving.

But then again this is all just IMO.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:12 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I think its a bad idea only because your cobra is worth money right now and after the swap it will be worth nothing. The V6 isn't worth much and still wont after the swap. It is going to be alot harder of a swap then you think. Lots of welded bracing under the vert that is also welded to the Kmember which you will need for the swap. Lots of small problems go along with this swap. Me and my buddys did the same thing but with a GT to a V6 because he totalled his GT. It took us a weekend but we had 6 guys and 4 of them were ford techs. Good luck with it man but I would sell the cobra and buy a wrecked GT for a swap project/ learning experience.

Quick Reply: Vert to Coupe swap