4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Vert to Coupe swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 10:30 PM
BigTurbo6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Vert to Coupe swap

Yeah its all about the insurance fraud, f*cking idiot!
I'm the F'n Idiot???? Im not the one butchering a beautiful cobra to make a frankenstein hard top 6'r piece of s***. I guess an insane question can only come from the insane. I shoulda stayed out of the madness!!! LMAO
Old 03-15-2007, 10:32 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

Several things needed done as I can see, just a few, welded and smooth new b pillars and c pillars to the body, new rear window, new headliner, center light, if you want to keep it. rear seats won't be the same fit as a coupe. Also the rear interior deck would need to be welded in place as well for the rear windshield to sit on.

Have you thought about findinf a loca junk yard and see if you can cut that entire section out of a coupe? Most totalled mustangs seem to have major front end damage, so you should be able to find a shell for it.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:37 PM
BADSEED
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: midnightsnake83

Im currently in the process of swapping all major components of my snake into a hardtop body. The coupe isa V6 with no frame damage, but has no front clip or bumper. Ill be selling as much as I can from the coupe to make the swap that much easier on the wallet. I am asking for any FACTUAL concerns I should be aware of for this project. I do NOT want people telling me to do something because a friend of yours did it to his car or what kind of mufflers or headers to get. I'm looking for for hints, tips and tricks to make this an easy swap. Or if you would like to positively or negatively critisize the project, thats fine too. If you have done a swap like this, I am greatly looking forward to reading your replys. Thanks!
i think your ruining a perfectly good car just sell the vert and buy a hard top cobra it much easier....in the end ur gonna be spending way more money
Old 03-15-2007, 10:38 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

damn, all the guy wanted to do was spam the forum, and you guys gotta give him a hard time.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:45 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

You are going to ruin a perfectly good Cobra just to "learn something about cars " ???[sm=WTFsgign.gif]
Old 03-15-2007, 10:48 PM
mustang_pa
4th Gear Member

whatever makes you happy. good luck.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: midnightsnake83

Its a pure stock cobra; even the gears are stock 3.27's.
hmm i remember u saying a while back that u have this "custom" exhaust and that u had a shop build u headers and stuff....and all of a sudden its pure stock? Haha go ahead and ruin a perfectly good cobra... Oh and u were saying u wanted to learn ALL about mustangs...well build urself a motor, tranny, a nice drivetrain, and go from there, instead of doing this stupid ****. But whatever, thats just my opinion right...?
Old 03-15-2007, 11:20 PM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmat2407

Im sorry but thats just not smart man. Not worth the time (and money I guess that you spent to get that v6). You do realize that there is a company that manufactures and sells hard tops for new edge stangs?. It looks identical as a coupe and is place right over where you conv, top goes. Once on it looks just as any other coup out on the streets. On days you want a vert, simply unbolt it and store it in the garage on a stand and there you go. Oh and it leaves the stock top in tack and funtional also just in case you get far away from home and the weather starts to go bad on you.

BTW this is all just IMO going off the assumption you dont like the vert for looks reason. Now if your doing it for weight/drag racing purposes(which I highly doubt your going to make the car that much faster during the time you own it that those extra few tenths in the 1/4 will justify you swapping the whole car over to a coupe) but even then I say its not worth it.
got a link to this company cause the ones i've seen have looked like ****
Old 03-15-2007, 11:28 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

dude im sorry bu this is just stupid.... the cobra vert is worth alot more ... just buy a v6 beater then do all the stuff when you got the dough - no sense in ruining a cobra vert, even if it has 120k miles on it - there are plenty of suckers to sell it to.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:34 PM
jmat2407
2nd Gear Member

http://www.smoothline.com/contempora...rd_Mustang.php

theres one, copy and paste it into your browser, I'm not to crazy abou that particular one because its purposely styled to try and look a little like the 05+, but there are several more that make an alomst identical match to a standard coupe, I pull up some of those sites for you shortly

Quick Reply: Vert to Coupe swap