4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Can You Pull a 2V Out the Top wit LT's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 01:21 AM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

Default Can You Pull a 2V Out the Top wit LT's?

Have a '00GT 2V with BBK long tubes. I blew it up on the first run last week and I know I have bent valves, etc. so I need to pull it and check rods, pistons, etc. Q: Can I pull it out the top withthe long tubes? You can't get to the header bolts toremove them from the heads. BBK says you have todrop the engine with the K frame and lift the car off. Anyone know? I'm going to try to take the heads off and lift just the headswith long tube attached out, then pull the block. What a pain. Anyone got experience??? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:19 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Can You Pull a 2V Out the Top wit LT's?

No. You cannot do it simply because the passenger side header is blocked by the transmission. Unless your planning on pulling the transmission out sitll attached to the block through the top.... you could possibly do it that way. To get mine off we had to unbolt it and lift the motor slightly to get the clearance to get the headder bolts off the passenger side..
Old 03-17-2007, 02:29 AM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HaV

No. You cannot do it simply because the passenger side header is blocked by the transmission. Unless your planning on pulling the transmission out sitll attached to the block through the top.... you could possibly do it that way. To get mine off we had to unbolt it and lift the motor slightly to get the clearance to get the headder bolts off the passenger side..

YEAH, I READ A SITE EARLEIR TONIGHT AND THAT'S WHAT THEY DID---PULLED IT OUT THE TOP WITH THE TRANNY ATTACHED. THE OTHER REASON IS BECAUSE THE T5 HAS ITS BOLTS INSIDE THE BELL HOUSING. COULD YOU GET THE BOLTS OFF THE DRIVER'S SIDE HEADER ALSO?
Old 03-17-2007, 02:33 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4.6LPoppy

ORIGINAL: HaV

YEAH, I READ A SITE EARLEIR TONIGHT AND THAT'S WHAT THEY DID---PULLED IT OUT THE TOP WITH THE TRANNY ATTACHED. THE OTHER REASON IS BECAUSE THE T5 HAS ITS BOLTS INSIDE THE BELL HOUSING. COULD YOU GET THE BOLTS OFF THE DRIVER'S SIDE HEADER ALSO?
I didnt try to get the bolts off the drivers side since it wasn't blocking hte transmission.. it looked like much more clearance on the driver side though, like you wouldnt need to lift it to get to the bolts.

If your planning on pulling it all out of hte top still attached then the headders shouldnt be in the way.. they follow the transmission pretty well so if it will go then they should also.

And on the T-45's most people dont unbolt the tranny from the bellhousing. Most people actualy remove the bellhousing from the block.. its much easier that way.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:36 AM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

HaV, Good information. Appreciate it friend!
Old 03-17-2007, 02:37 AM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

HaV, It says you are from Oklahoma. Where? I'm in Owasso, a Tulsa suburb.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:39 AM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

When I get my heads back from the shop and get my LTs I am installing the LTs on the heads and putting them on the car... how this is gonna work idk?
Old 03-17-2007, 02:40 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4.6LPoppy

HaV, It says you are from Oklahoma. Where? I'm in Owasso, a Tulsa suburb.
Im from bartlesville... we actualy just had a mini meetup a tulsa raceway park on saturday.. 3 of us off here took vids/pics.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:43 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 00TropicGreenStang

When I get my heads back from the shop and get my LTs I am installing the LTs on the heads and putting them on the car... how this is gonna work idk?
Simple. It wont.

The passenger side headder wraps close around the transmission and underneith the bellhousing a bit.... I'll post a pic of mine. You have to bring the headder up from under the transmission to put it on, which is why you cannot drop the tranny without removing it.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:47 AM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

HaV,

Cool. All these people and you're 40 minutes away. I blew mine up on Sunday, March 4 at the first Test and Tune out there at Tulsa Raceway Park. I still beat the NOS Z28 even though I had to coast from the 1000 foot mark! Broke my tires loose at about 80mph when I finally thought it was safe to floor it and saw the tach go over 7000 with the S/C making about 12 lbs of boost.It then it made a lot of noise and smoke and I parked it at the first pullout and went for a trailer. I'll be out there again later.

Quick Reply: Can You Pull a 2V Out the Top wit LT's?