MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   speedo gear or speedcal??? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/260384-speedo-gear-or-speedcal.html)

97targa 03-17-2007 05:50 PM

speedo gear or speedcal???

I got the white speedo gear for my 3:73's up from factory 3:27's. I have heard that these get chewed up, how long do they last? If I can get 10kmi outta it then that's fine with me that's ofcourse if it's even close to accurate (within 5 miles an hour) I really don't wanna spend $90 on a speedcal by Brothers because then I should just get a tuner in a box if that's the case? Any one know of the chewed up gears???

sprostang 03-17-2007 05:57 PM

RE: speedo gear or speedcal???

They shouldn`t get chewed up at all. I know that when you change them they aren`t 100% accurate though. A speedcal will be dead on. I`m sure you can get a used one off ebay or check the classifieds here.

97targa 03-17-2007 06:19 PM

ORIGINAL: sprostang

They shouldn`t get chewed up at all. I know that when you change them they aren`t 100% accurate though. A speedcal will be dead on. I`m sure you can get a used one off ebay or check the classifieds here.
Yeah I called Brothers and they said they are vehicle specific so I would have to find someone with a 96-98 spd! I couldn't find one though!

BuzzCut 03-17-2007 10:33 PM

ORIGINAL: 97targa

I got the white speedo gear for my 3:73's up from factory 3:27's. I have heard that these get chewed up, how long do they last? If I can get 10kmi outta it then that's fine with me that's ofcourse if it's even close to accurate (within 5 miles an hour) I really don't wanna spend $90 on a speedcal by Brothers because then I should just get a tuner in a box if that's the case? Any one know of the chewed up gears???
If you like changing that gear on a regular basis then use it. It doesn't correct the speedo 100% anyway. Speedcal is 100% adjustable to any combination you have. It is your choice but I wouldn't want to keep doing things over. Pay now or pay later, your choice.

97targa 03-17-2007 10:41 PM

ORIGINAL: BuzzCut

ORIGINAL: 97targa

If you like changing that gear on a regular basis then use it. It doesn't correct the speedo 100% anyway. Speedcal is 100% adjustable to any combination you have. It is your choice but I wouldn't want to keep doing things over. Pay now or pay later, your choice.

Put it this way, I drove my car 1500miles last year and I don't think I'll put more than 2k on it this year and probably won't own the car for maybe another 2 years and it will be sold, so will it last that long? Also do you think it will be 5miles or less off? Or more like 10mph off because my friend has 4:10's and his odometer is 15mph off without and sppedo correction. (thats at 55mph)

olstangguy 03-17-2007 11:05 PM

I put the white gear in my 98 last summer. No problem in the 1000 or so miles since then.
It was about as accurate as the original speedometer before the gear swap. I'm satisified with the 15 buck plastic gear.