4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

a few nitrous questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 03:14 AM
jst854
2nd Gear Member

Default a few nitrous questions

hey guys I am considering getting a nitrous kit within the next year, but have a few questions.
I have a 96 with around 97000 miles on it. Is it safe to spray a motor with this amount of miles on it. Also how much is it to fill your bottle, where do you fill them. I am just looking to get some more power with out spending a fortune. Is it hard to install? Any other information?
Old 03-18-2007, 03:20 AM
mb7756
1st Gear Member

Default RE: a few nitrous questions

I wanted spray until I found out that you have to get a custom CPU tune, new low-temp plugs, a bottle heater/cooler, and other safety equipment which pushes the cost over $1.1K. My pal ran it with a basic kit in his Subaru 2.5RS and got great results, but if you don't buy the extra stuff you risk blowing the intake manifold with nitrous backfires.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:23 AM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

I bought my setup used with bottle warmer/purge/window switch/fuel pressure safety switch for $700 and some people have gotten it for cheaper. The NGK plugs are only $16 for 8. You'll need some kind of tune with any real power adder so that's common sense.

If the motor is in good condition it'll be perfectly fine with a 75-100 shot.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:24 AM
mb7756
1st Gear Member

My pal had trouble running multiple 1/4's in a rowwithout a heater because the pressure would drop too low since the bottle gets colder after each run( less nitrous goes to the engine with lower bottle temps) and if the temp gets too high...well..that's just dangerous. The colder plugs reduce the chance of detonation, and without a custom tune (like retarding timing) you could blow the intake up.Plus the kits don't usually come with pressure gauges.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:28 AM
mb7756
1st Gear Member

Another thing...refilling the bottle is easy at any local race shop but itgets expensive. I don't have any idea how much it currently costs to fill a 10lb bottle, but my pal spent like $35-$40 a fill up 3 years ago. 10lb bottles don't last that long, either.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:33 AM
jst854
2nd Gear Member

i dont think the bottle heater would be that big of an issue as i would not be using it that much espically back to back, so besides just the nitrous i would need cooler plugs and add a pressue guage to watch the intake pressure?
Old 03-18-2007, 03:44 AM
mb7756
1st Gear Member

For the lowest cost setup while being safe, I would get colder spark plugsplugs (cheap if you can install them yourself), a bottle purge system (so the bottle doesn't blow up if it's left in a really hot car and is full- not sure if this has ever happened or not, but it probably could) and a custom car cpu tune to retard timing. The custom tune is probaby the most important, because this will help prevent the dredded 'nitrous backfire'. You can see videos of this if you look for them (don't know if any URL's off hand). I saw one of a cobra on a dyno on spray and the intake manifold blew up along with some other engine parts. The bottle heater and other safety gear isn't as important as the plugs, purge, and tune. If you get those three things, you should be safe while getting some massive horsepower. Nitrous backfires happen when you have a 'wet' system and fuel pools in the intake manifold. Don't know how much a custom tune costs, but if I had to guess I'd say between $100 and $200 at a local race shop.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:49 AM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

Nitrous oxide is a non-flamable gas, so I dont think that the bottle would really blow up (maybe if the pressure got REALLY high, but I still dont think so). People heat up bottles with propane torches, so I dont think that would happen.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:57 AM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

The purge is just to release the nitrous that was left in the lines. It's basically useless and only for looks.

For a bare bones kit pick up a wet shot, fuel pressure safety switch, and get it dyno tuned. If you already have a hand-held tuner you could just retard the timing but I would still reccomend a dyno run. The bottle warmer is suggested since running a low bottle pressure(anything<900-1000) will not produce nearly as much power as possible.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:04 AM
jst854
2nd Gear Member

so what is the basic difference between wet and dry. I read somewhere that wet is better for modded engines while a dry shot is better for stock, like myself. I also read that a dry shot does not produce the risk of blowing the intake? Is this correct?

Quick Reply: a few nitrous questions