4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

where is the "Middle Man"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: where is the "Middle Man"?

ORIGINAL: tool fan

Why is Ford stuck on the 3v design?? Doesn't it seem the a 4v would produce more power??? More efficiency correct??
$$, and its easy to make. also its a damn good design. i can see a stock 3v n/a 5.4 making close to, if not, 400hp. the 3v 4.6 made it to jd powers 10 best list in 05. i don't think GM or Dodge are going to have an engine as refined as the modular anytime soon in their go-fast cars. maybe i'm wrong, haven't been following the development but it seems those companies have been going the old school route for some time now, extracting what they can out of pushrods and making them bigger to make more power. but that 3v feels so nice to drive, it just begs to be spun, and it can be boosted in stock form more than gm's high compression push rodders.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:33 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

They could.. but they won't... Unless they make a 4th version:V6, GT, Shelby and Boss/Mach 1... They are saying the new GT will have a 5.4 3v... maybe if they make a boss or a mach we'll seea 5.4 4vin that model... who really knows with Ford, lol

ORIGINAL: Maverick04GT

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

Ford has the 5.4 4v in the Shelby... they can't put it in anything else...

Why is Ford stuck on the 3v design?? Doesn't it seem the a 4v would produce more power??? More efficiency correct??
They could toss in a N/A 5.4 into something.....like an earlier poster stated, somethin like the Cobra R, which made 385 N/A.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:39 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

i wonder what's gonna happen when fuel becomes an inefficient source, what will become of these 400-500hp motors..
Old 03-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Pitt
2nd Gear Member

Thats why most of us here dont wait around for ford....we make our own HP for a lot less $$ [8D]
Old 03-18-2007, 11:11 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

There will always be fuel.. we're just trying to make ourselves not gasoline dependant...
Old 03-18-2007, 11:12 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

well maybe not always, but it wont be in our lifetimes...
Old 03-19-2007, 01:39 AM
bbbaycuuu
2nd Gear Member

okay we are forgetting about the newly announced shelby gt. 325 hp, 35k-37k, however it is a collectors item, and for the first couple months im sure there will be markup. Ford also announced a Boss model, and with the reintroduction of the 5.0 motor and the 3.5 v6 replacing the 3.0 heres how i see things playing out. 3.5 v6 with 250-260 hp taking the v6, giving it the power it needs to smoke the civic si's lol. 5.0 liter v8 coming with around 360-400 n/a horsepower. idk about the 5.4, its just a big engine and ford wont spend the money to make it fuel efficient...but the torque would be nice. shelby should stay the same, i hope when they redesign the body and introduce new engines that they make the shelby go on atkins or something, its fat. if a 500 horse vette can run an 11.7 1/4 mile, a 390 horsepower cobracan run .3-.5 seconds slower, a 500 horsepower mustang should be good for CONSISTENT low 12's or 12 even. 3900 = FAT. oh and im SURE there will be another bullett or mach I to acompany the boss.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:04 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bbbaycuuu

okay we are forgetting about the newly announced shelby gt. 325 hp, 35k-37k, however it is a collectors item, and for the first couple months im sure there will be markup. Ford also announced a Boss model, and with the reintroduction of the 5.0 motor and the 3.5 v6 replacing the 3.0 heres how i see things playing out. 3.5 v6 with 250-260 hp taking the v6, giving it the power it needs to smoke the civic si's lol. 5.0 liter v8 coming with around 360-400 n/a horsepower. idk about the 5.4, its just a big engine and ford wont spend the money to make it fuel efficient...but the torque would be nice. shelby should stay the same, i hope when they redesign the body and introduce new engines that they make the shelby go on atkins or something, its fat. if a 500 horse vette can run an 11.7 1/4 mile, a 390 horsepower cobracan run .3-.5 seconds slower, a 500 horsepower mustang should be good for CONSISTENT low 12's or 12 even. 3900 = FAT. oh and im SURE there will be another bullett or mach I to acompany the boss.
Has there ever been a 3.0 in a Mustang?

This sucks. Now the new sixxers will be thinking those things are soooooooo fast, and be looking down on us Pre-05 GT's, especially you NPI guys.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:08 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

there stuck on the 3v because it streamlines assembly and saves money...

I just drove an 07 - and i wasnt impressed.... at all [&:]
Old 03-19-2007, 04:38 AM
tool fan
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Monch

$$, and its easy to make. also its a damn good design. i can see a stock 3v n/a 5.4 making close to, if not, 400hp. the 3v 4.6 made it to jd powers 10 best list in 05. i don't think GM or Dodge are going to have an engine as refined as the modular anytime soon in their go-fast cars. maybe i'm wrong, haven't been following the development but it seems those companies have been going the old school route for some time now, extracting what they can out of pushrods and making them bigger to make more power. but that 3v feels so nice to drive, it just begs to be spun, and it can be boosted in stock form more than gm's high compression push rodders.

If it is such a great design......... why is Ford behind the "power Curve" literally. And the new Camaro is supposed to be in the same price range as the GT...... I said Price RANGE, not same price.

Modding a GT is not cheaper than just buying a Cobra. Cobra comes stock with bigger brakes, injectors, 4v VS 2v, fuel pumps,oil pump, better suspension S/C ect ect...... This is one reason I am just considering buying a Cobra, first off I don't have the time to build my own car, second, I dont have the mechanical prowess to know what I am doing. Third, I have yet to meet anybody (in person) that has not had issues with their Mustangs after modding them to the TT or S/C levels.

I love Mustangs and I love my Bullitt, but if simple stuff like BALLJOINTS go bad after 6 years 59k miles, I am scared to sink to much money into it.

I think I may just find me a nice Terminator on Ebay and call it a day.

Quick Reply: where is the "Middle Man"?