4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

really basic questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 02:32 PM
eRock08

Default really basic questions...

Alright, So I'm thinking of getting a mustang, but I need some input.

My story:

I'm 17 years old and live in northern colorado. I've been driving for about 2 years now and all my friends tell me that im the most alert/best driver they know. I drive a toyota Camry 99 and its a fun little car. I've always had a hankering for a Mustang though. My favored mustang is a 99-04 GT coupe and the color really doesent matter. I decided to go with the GT because I figure that if im gonna spend what to me is a ton of money I might as well spend alittle more and get the GT. I plan on saving $7,500 for this car because right now I seem to be able to find them for $8000. So by the time I can afford it it should be cheaper. I've never driven a mustang or a manual because no one seems to own one in northern colorado. Its all about the Camaro here.

How do mustangs handle in the snow? I can guess but thought I would ask

Convince me not to get a firebird or another sports car. Oh and I dislike the Camaro because they're way to popular.

Does my price seem reasonable? I'm shooting for my 18th birthday (december 07).

Is their any insider tips to buying a mustang? Any ways to get a better price?

Any ways that you can think of to save money lol. I have a job, but with school I can only work about 21 hours a week and I save most of the money I make, i just dont make alot.

Thanks in advance,
-eRock
Old 03-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: really basic questions...

First off look into insurance before you jump on it. You should be able to get a 99 mustang for about that price! Dont get an F body because they are fugly, uncomfortable, hard to work on, and just not as good a car as a mustang... The only advantage they have are they are faster but you can fix that .
NO DRIVING PONIES IN THE SNOW end of story.

And when your shopping for a mustang.. just remember they are a dime a dozen so shop around. Honestly i would suggest saving a bit more money and just get a nicer one. All i spent was $12,000 and i got an 03 GT with 36,700 miles with every option and mach 1000... So just save up a bit and get a good one!
Old 03-18-2007, 02:41 PM
eRock08

Good advice. Yeah, I dont think I would risk my investment int he snow. stupid colorado. See the problem with saving more money is that when you only make $7 an hour, and you have to eat and buy gas... well there isnt a whole lot of money left over. But if I get a raise, yeah for sure I would get a better stang.

How would the elevation affect my mustang? I'm at 5250ft
Old 03-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

They don't really go good in the snow at ALL. I had mine in 4 plus inches of snow yesterday in MA and let me tell you 4th gear with traction control on the rear end twitches.

I would buy a good front wheel drive car or AWD. If you want speed, I would go with 2000 5 speed maxima SE and you will smoke mustang/camaros on the highway.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:03 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

save up... shop around... if you find one you like, don't jump on it... take it for a test drive or two, get a feel for it, inspect every inch of it (you should be able to spot any issues) and if you find one, and have questions about certain things... just ask us and we'll do our best to give you a solid answer!
Old 03-18-2007, 04:10 PM
eRock08

I really like the mustang more then that car. they keep the roads very well maintained (ice/snow) free here. So that is not going to be the deciding factor. if worse comes to worse, I dont drive for a day or so.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: eRock08

Good advice. Yeah, I dont think I would risk my investment int he snow. stupid colorado. See the problem with saving more money is that when you only make $7 an hour, and you have to eat and buy gas... well there isnt a whole lot of money left over. But if I get a raise, yeah for sure I would get a better stang.

How would the elevation affect my mustang? I'm at 5250ft
Im only making $7.25 an hour, saving for college, spent $2000 on rims/tires, got almost full exhaust blah blah while making my payments and stuff... it can be done .

And more expensive than that i have a curse of a high maintenance girlfreind...
Old 03-18-2007, 05:49 PM
eRock08

haha, girls are worth it. how many hours a week do you work?
Old 03-18-2007, 05:55 PM
04MustangGT
2nd Gear Member

Took me a half hour just to get mine out of the 1 inch of snow this morning, with the traction control on [:@]Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. They're CRAP in the snow!!!
Best bet is to get studded snow tires for the Winter thenswap when Spring comes around. Or use sandbags
Old 03-18-2007, 06:38 PM
jusnkris
2nd Gear Member

im not going to tell you not to get a firebird/camaro because i am not mustang bias. but i will tell you that mustangs feel like they are a higher quality car. my sister had a 99 camaro and the thing was garbage. my 02 gt is going strong after 74000 miles.

Quick Reply: really basic questions...