4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Keeping a black car clean...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 02:56 PM
benk87
2nd Gear Member

Default Keeping a black car clean...

I have a 98 Black GT and was wondering if you guys have any tricks when you wash your black mustangs...Every time I was my car It looks great...I try to dry out everything I can think of... But then sure enough,.I will go somewhere and when I get out to look at my beutiful car.. there is water streaks on it!!!! Especially in the bumper area... I always open the trunk though and clean all the water out... This is very frustrating... any tips?
Old 03-18-2007, 03:09 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Keeping a black car clean...

well you are in luck. i used to detail for ford. do you have an air compressor? if so let it blow all the water out of your cracks with an air nozel =D also dont use a spray nozel on your hose when washing the car they only causes over spray and tons of little droplets all over the car. take the nozel off and wash from top to bottom.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:12 PM
benk87
2nd Gear Member

ok what about at the car wash??? Should I just use the regular wash? Is it ok to use the brush there? is that not a good idea? Or do you think that the carwash brush leaves scratches???
Old 03-18-2007, 03:14 PM
jpnelson1978
1st Gear Member

i use the absorber from autzone. get it good and dry. drive it for a few more minutes and come back and dry the access(bumpers, hood scoop, etc). then i use meguiars quick detailer spray. that works awesome!finish up with tire dressing and window cleaner, and keep the wheels clean too. use mothers chrome polish on all my wheels
Old 03-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Do not take a black car or any car you care about to a drive thru car wash. Especially black you will get scratches from the brushes and dirt from other cars and it is most noticeable on black cars.

I had a black '02 Audi A4 Quatro and black is difficult tokeep clean
Old 03-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

NEVER NEVER use those public brushes... People bring their trucks with cow shi* on the bottome of them and their 4 wheelers and use them on that.... You dont want that on your car do you?
Old 03-18-2007, 03:58 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

if you must go to a carwash... go to a 'touchless' one that uses pressure washers to clean the car instead of brushes...

if you do it by hand, use a low flow of water... use a mitt for the top part of the car, than another one for the sides, than one for the wheels, so as not to transfer dirt and scratch the finish... when drying just go from the top down, drive it, than sop up the rest of the water that comes out... to finish it off, use quik detailer from meguires like stated above to polish off any missed areas to give it a nice shine... and every now and then throw on a coat of wax.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:04 PM
spooky
2nd Gear Member

the air compressor is a good idea. if you don't have one, then i would suggest driving around the block right after you dry your car. most of the water will come out. then go over your car with a quick detailer spray. does your Mustang park outside or is it garaged? if it parks outside, then it's probably easier to just get a different color Mustang than to keep the one you have now clean. my Mustang is my 3rd black car.i know(as well as any other black car owners) my car will never stay perfect looking unless we keep them garaged and never drive them. you should get your car professionally detailed than maintain it by using aQD spray everyday.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:40 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Get the california blade andsome microfiber towels. The best combo for my black ride.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:11 PM
benk87
2nd Gear Member

My car is garaged.. I was not talking about a drive thru, I was talking about a standard car wash not a gas station wash.. I LOVE MY CAR..I do it my self....What is a california blade??? I have a california duster if thats what you mean...

Quick Reply: Keeping a black car clean...