4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Adding More Power to My Mustang (newbi)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Halo Master

Default Adding More Power to My Mustang (newbi)

Hey, I was wondering If there was a way to add more power to my 99 Mustan. By the way I'm a First time owner of a Mustang
Old 03-20-2007, 12:43 AM
lsustang04
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Adding More Power to My Mustang (newbi)

Full exhaust, full intake, tuner, and 4.10 gears.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:43 AM
rmtaylor78
2nd Gear Member

congrats on the new car...just do some browsing, the sky's the limit with your stang. it all depends how much you can spend$$$
Old 03-20-2007, 12:45 AM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

ok, you can start with an exhuast (headers, midpipe, and catback). intake, throttle body and plenum, gears (though they wont give you power, itll give you better acceleration). You can also get some giggle gas or some sort of forced induction.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:49 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

depends how much power you want? want 400+rwhp? or you just want a little more then stock like 280ish?
400+ = supercharger or nitrous
280ish = Exhaust, Cams, Tb/Plenum should get you there..
Old 03-20-2007, 02:51 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rbstang

depends how much power you want? want 400+rwhp? or you just want a little more then stock like 280ish?
Its gonna be tough to get a stockish GT from 230 to 400+rwhp on the spray. Thats a 175-200 shot depending on brand.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:59 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

ORIGINAL: rbstang

Its gonna be tough to get a stockish GT from 230 to 400+rwhp on the spray. Thats a 175-200 shot depending on brand.
you can get 350-370... thats pretty close to 400
Old 03-20-2007, 05:14 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Good starter bolt ons are:

*CAI (I like MAC personally)
*Gears (Pro 5.0 saves 3.5lbs over stock gears for quicker revs, I would suggest 3.73's for a manual, 4:11's for an auto)
*Exhaust w/ X-pipe (Your taste, a lot like flowmaster, Borla, Stainless works, Bassani)

That combination will make you very happy and it will cost you under $1000 bux.
After that you can get:

*Typhoon aluminum Intake and large TB (Combo good for around 30hp as tested by MM&FF.)
*Larger maf w/ larger fuel injectors
*UPD Pulleys
*Shorty Headers
*Lightweight flywheel or flexplate
*PST Carbon Fiber driveshaft
*Custome Dynotune

And then there is still a ton more that you can do, port and polish, cams, shortblock, more fuel and timing, Forced induction, nitrous the list goes on and on.

Do what you can at first and enjoy the car, welcome to a new lifestyle

-Eric-
Old 03-20-2007, 05:26 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NeoTokyo

Good starter bolt ons are:

*CAI (I like MAC personally)
*Gears (Pro 5.0 saves 3.5lbs over stock gears for quicker revs, I would suggest 3.73's for a manual, 4:11's for an auto)
*Exhaust w/ X-pipe (Your taste, a lot like flowmaster, Borla, Stainless works, Bassani)

That combination will make you very happy and it will cost you under $1000 bux.
After that you can get:

*Typhoon aluminum Intake and large TB (Combo good for around 30hp as tested by MM&FF.)
*Larger maf w/ larger fuel injectors
*UPD Pulleys
*Shorty Headers
Lightweight flywheel or flexplate
*PST Carbon Fiber driveshaft
*Custome Dynotune

And then there is still a ton more that you can do, port and polish, cams, shortblock, more fuel and timing, Forced induction, nitrous the list goes on and on.

Do what you can at first and enjoy the car, welcome to a new lifestyle

-Eric-
Items in bold are competely useless on a bolton only N/A car.

the tyhpoon adds nothing (even with a built motor its nearly worthless execpt that its not plastic so you can spray a larger shot and not worry about nitrous backfire), larger injectors/maf are going to do nothing at his power level, short tubes are good for 5~ WHP if your lucky, and the carbon fiber driveshafts are not that much lighter than an aluminum one and have a tendancy to explode when hit with road hazards like rocks.

So far as the lightweight flywheel... you can argue it either way but it doesn't make a large enough difference to justify pulling the tranny off the engine and the 300+ dollar cost.

I don't understand why people post tech info when they do not KNOW what they are talking about. Some people will acutally go out and spend the money on parts that are recommened here, so think about that before you post.

Exhaust (with longtubes, just stick with stock manifolds on a bolton only car if you cant do em) gears, and the intake boltons are all great mods if your just starting out. The skys the limit depending on your budget.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:22 AM
SuperNooblet

I started with a JLT RAI (afraid of rain) 70MM Accubfab TB/Plenum combo and a diablosport tuner. To tell you the truth, I did it beforeI started readin these forums and I didn't get much power return.

I put all of the parts in ymself and it was very fun and rewarding when I drove the car and it didn't break. A lot of the suggested things to do at the beginning are usually not feasible for the beginner to do, but I hope that you'll find something you can do yourself because it makes you feel like a part of your car (or vice-versa). At the very least, find a shop that will let you hang around and help out while they work on it. Good luck and have fun!!

Quick Reply: Adding More Power to My Mustang (newbi)