4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mac catback...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Default Mac catback...

Im considering buying a mac catback to replace my weld in flows. How does the Mac compare to flows? They sound alot alike in clips but are there differences? How is the quality of it? Anyone have pics of the tips? Thanks.

Its going to be paired up with an X pipe so let me know if this is a good idea..
Old 03-20-2007, 01:16 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Mac catback...

Mac does sound a lot like flows. Both brands have chambered mufflers. They are a bit more "pulsy" and "bubbly" than flows, but still sound good IMO. If I didn't have Flows, I'd be running Mac for sure.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:26 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

It depends. Do you like the sound you have now? If so then I'd go for the swap. I like the sound of the Mac a little more than the Flows, but they really are very similar. The cat back swap for simple weld ins would be really nice though. Those stock pipes have all kinds of bends and dents in them.

If you do want to do so, read this thread and email these guys: https://mustangforums.com/m_2885871/tm.htm
Old 03-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Ya thats who ill be going through... Someone said they are throatier than flows? Is that true?
Old 03-20-2007, 01:51 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

I know that mac isn't stainless, but does the coating prevent rusting?
Old 03-20-2007, 01:52 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

Ya thats who ill be going through... Someone said they are throatier than flows? Is that true?
Yeah, they seem to have a little more ***** than flows if you ask me. It's close but flows always seem to have a tinny sound to me that the Mac doesn't have. I think you'd like them.

ORIGINAL: rainydayracing

Mac parts are stainless if you buy them stainless, they just give you an option and too many people are cheap so most stores just stock the aluminized coated pipes. However yes, the coating does prevent rusting... to an extent. Depending on the conditions you drive your car in regularly, a non-stainless exhaust may last you anywhere from a few years to maybe up to ten years if you rarely drive it in the rain. My car is a DD and I don't like being cheap so I just put up a little more now and got the stainless version and wont have to worry about exhaust on this car again.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Chase85

Sorry to be barging in, but I couldn't figure out how to make a new post ><.
My mustang died, and I dont have the knowledge or will to fix it. So I was thinking of purchasing an older 5.0. There are 2 I am looking at a 89 convert with 87k miles for $6k, and a 88 hatch with 120 miles for $4k.
I like the hatches better, but not sure how long it would last,{my last mustang lasted 6 years with basic(read regular oilchanges) and it was a rebuild}. Should I buy the hatch and have it rebuilt, or will it last a few years? Or should I go with the convert with less miles.

Also the convert is sold by a dealer and looks clean, the hatch is private party and the pics are not clear.
Any help would be awesome thanks!
Old 03-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AJ97GT

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

Yeah, they seem to have a little more ***** than flows if you ask me. It's close but flows always seem to have a tinny sound to me that the Mac doesn't have. I think you'd like them.

ORIGINAL: rainydayracing

Mac parts are stainless if you buy them stainless, they just give you an option and too many people are cheap so most stores just stock the aluminized coated pipes. However yes, the coating does prevent rusting... to an extent. Depending on the conditions you drive your car in regularly, a non-stainless exhaust may last you anywhere from a few years to maybe up to ten years if you rarely drive it in the rain. My car is a DD and I don't like being cheap so I just put up a little more now and got the stainless version and wont have to worry about exhaust on this car again.
The rsuting that you have to be worried about is from the inside out. Water(condensation from exhaust heat) sits inside of chambered mufflers and eats its way through(the aluminized ones).
Old 03-20-2007, 02:55 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Who has em' in stock??
Old 03-20-2007, 03:32 PM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

I have the MAC cat-backs with the MAC catted Xpipe and really like they way the combo sounds. Very simular sounding to the Flowmaster 3-chambers. Nice and mellow at lower RPM but they really growl when the throttle is opened up.

Installation was rather straight forward and took me about 2 hours with the car on jack stands.

Quick Reply: Mac catback...