4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

My Sn95 Suspension.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 01:51 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

Default My Sn95 Suspension.....

I finally found a great suspension set-up for my car that doesn't break the bank. I wanted to lower it about 2 inches but save the ride,so here's what happend.

I got Steeda lowering spring, plus i want to to do new shocks and struts as well but on a budget. So some guys here suggested that i do 93Gt shocks and strut, which are a little soffter and shorter. So i bought Monroe Sensa-Trac stuff, which is a pretty good brand for everday driving. SO we intalled all of the this, and it didn't turn out so great. The rear end sat over an inch lower than the front. And the ride was absolutely horrible. It was so bouncy in the rear i could hardly talk while driving. Not to mention with my large wheels and tires, my rear tires were scrubbing with every dip or bump. So the rear shocks had to go. I decided to replace them with Sn95 shocks, which are talled than the fox body shocks and a little stiffer. This did the trick. I still ened up getting about 2 inches all around give or take a little. Plus the rear end always sat a little higher before, so this gave the downward muscle car stance. It looks fantastic. It handles like a completely different car, and still rides really smooth. I highly recommend this set-up if you are trying to lower your Sn95 on a budget. Also i would imagine you could do about the same set-up for a new edge. Just find a strut that it a little bit softer and shorter and you will get an amazing stance and still have a great ride.

To sum it all up----Steeda springs +Fox body struts+Sn95 shocks= One amazing looking lowered stance for a 98GT on a budget!!
Old 03-20-2007, 01:56 PM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: My Sn95 Suspension.....

now you gotta change that 4X4 sig of yours.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:00 PM
chrissilver3975
2nd Gear Member

can you post some pics? I have 98gt vert also and I'm gonna be lowering it in the future and I would be trying to do it on a budget also.. The pics will give me an idea of what I'll be looking at if I go with a 2" drop.. How much did you end up spending total..?
Old 03-20-2007, 02:02 PM
GotYouLooking
1st Gear Member

Did you need cc plates, since you went over 1.5 inch drop?
Old 03-20-2007, 02:02 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

ya that will be the next thing i do is clean it up and take some good pictures. I was gone to california last week so i haven't had a chance yet. I'll get to it though don't worry
Old 03-20-2007, 02:09 PM
chrissilver3975
2nd Gear Member

sorry to be off topic.. but did you install your shiftkit yourself.. im asking because mine is in my closet and I was wondering if you did get it installed how much it cost you..
Old 03-20-2007, 02:11 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GotYouLooking

Did you need cc plates, since you went over 1.5 inch drop?
WEll i posted this before, i got a set of steeda springs and steeda caster camber camber plates used with about a 1,000 miles on them for $60. It will be really hard for you to find a deal like that. I posted this thread to mainly explain about the shocks and struts, because you get a little bit of extra drop with using foxbody parts because they are softer and shorter. But you will lose ride quality with rear foxbody shocks.

All in all for me i only spent about $160.

If have tobuy new parts however- Its like $249 for the springs, and around $199 for the plates (I'm not positve as i bought used parts. And then spent $120 for the the shocks and struts.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:14 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrissilver3975

sorry to be off topic.. but did you install your shiftkit yourself.. im asking because mine is in my closet and I was wondering if you did get it installed how much it cost you..
My boyfriend and I did it at his friends shop, we are both pretty well mechanically inclined, so it wasn't that bad for us. However it does require a good bit of skill and knowledge about transmissions.It also requires you to drill on the valve body, which was pretty scary. The guy that owned the shop was there to watch us do that, and assist us, because if you mess that part up you are royally screwed.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:18 PM
chrissilver3975
2nd Gear Member

wow.. nice 160 for a 2" drop.. thats awesome... and yeah.. I wouldnt attempt the shift kit install myself.. I wouldnt want to waste the money I spent on the shift kit.. same thing with my 4.10's.. .just sitting in my closet til i can get the money for the install...
Old 03-20-2007, 02:22 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

Ya it looks like the car dropped 4 inches, its great.

ANd i've always tried to make it a point not to buy anything that we couldn't install ourselves. If the car doesn't sell by this summer, we are going te rebuild the engine with some nice internals and a PI swap. But we are waiting because by then we will have access to a bay in his shop for a month or two to get it all done.

Quick Reply: My Sn95 Suspension.....