4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

slack in steering?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

Default slack in steering?

What could cause a small amount of slack in the steering wheel? I've changed tie rod ends already.. reckon its the u joint in the steering?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:59 PM
suzukidragracer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: slack in steering?

I replaced my front lower control arm bushings, and that solved my sloppy steering problem. It wanted to follow grooves way too much and had some slack in the wheel.

If you have someone get in the car while it's running and move the steering wheel back and forth 90 degrees while you look underneath the car from just in front of the front wheel you can see the bushings flex. Mine would flex almost a 1/4" each way, which seemed waaaaaaay to much.

It's got Energy Suspension Polyurethane front lower control arm bushings in it now and they are great!

If you do it yourself, it's kind of a bitch. The steering rack gets in the way and the control arm didn't fit in my press very easily. And also remember to GREASE THE HELL OUT OF THEM or they will squeak! Or you could get polygraphite bushings or rubber replacement ones that won't squeak.

Hope this helps,
Vince
Old 03-20-2007, 06:16 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

Thanks!... honestly this feels more like slack in the linkage or something though..
Old 03-20-2007, 07:53 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quicktime_GT

What could cause a small amount of slack in the steering wheel? I've changed tie rod ends already.. reckon its the u joint in the steering?
Jack the front of the car up on both sides and support with jackstands.
Go under the car and have someone very, very, very, slowly turn the steering wheel back and forth, IOW within the "dead spot" .
Like an inch to the left till it the person feels resistance, then stop and go an inch to the right until resistance is felt etc.

Look up the steering column and then down to see the first spot that does NOT move when the wheel is turned.
When you see one part of the linkage move, but not the section below it (toward the wheels) whatever is in between is defective and you have found your problem.
Follow the linkage all the way out to the wheels if need be.

This is real difficult to explain, but that's the gist of it.
ideally, there should be no play and no matter how little you move the steering wheel, your tires should move in relation.

Also while it's up in the air, pull on parts of the linkage to see if anything has play in it.

The trick is to have the other person move the steering wheel very slowly and just a very small amount while you watch.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

thats probably what i'll do.. .thanks!