4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

coupe or vert??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 06:53 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Default RE: coupe or vert??

ORIGINAL: jmat2407

Ok I guess this is only going to apply those of you that live in southeast on the coast or in say cali. ( Or anywhere else where your within a 30min drive from the beach and the average temp is easily over 70So I use to own a camaro and loved having the t-tops when I'm just riding out to the beach in the sun. I just sold a v6 stang and am looking at two Gt's for sale. One is an 02 coupe, black on black leather, 55k, 5 speed and the other is a black vert later model 01 with 61k miles, black top and black leather, also 5 speed. I cant decide tho if I want to fork out the extra 1000 for the vert epecially since the coupe is faster.You guys with verts are they a lot slower then most coupes you've raced? And which would you guys go with?
It depends upon your goals.
If you want to race and compare timslips down to 1/10 of a second, I say go with the coupe.
If you want to have one hell of a time in a nice looking almost as fast car, it's the vert hands down.

For normal street driving and the occasional street race, you won't be able to tell the difference in terms of speed.
However, the vert is a little more jiggly up around the cowl area.
I'm going to put a strut tower brace on mine and possibly replace the factory frame supports (verts have them, coupes don't) with aftermarket longer and stronger ones.

I live on Long Island N.Y, 5 minutes to the beach FWIW and there is nothing as much fun as top down during the spring/summer/fall.

If you are thinking of the vert, look VERY carefully for signs of leaks.
Look in the trough where the top lives when it's down. If you see mud, major water stains etc it means the rear glass has seperated from the fabric and chances are it's new top time.
Pull the floor mats up and look for water, mildew etc.
Any funny kind of smell inside the car and I would move along to another one.

That being said, when you hit the road for the beach in your coupe you will wish you had a vert

I have a 2003 Centennial Vert GT (really a premium with some special options).

(now I duck as the coupe owners tar and feather me !! )
Old 03-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Lizardbreath
2nd Gear Member

Trust me everytime you put down the convertible top on a nice day you will LOVE your decision to get the vert. I know I am glad i did.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:57 PM
options2rx7
1st Gear Member

I had to make that same decision a month ago..i'm in tampa florida and i'm pretty close to the beach and i dont regret it one bit. espacially when all the girls are wanting to ride with me with the top down.. do it!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 07:31 PM
TC713
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CoolAid

When the top drops, so do the panties. Vert FTW.

lol! Yup.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:36 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CoolAid

When the top drops, so do the panties. Vert FTW.
+5 hahahahaha yes sir!!!!!!!! go with the vert buddy, especially if you're in an area where it will be utilized often, you will be happy
Old 03-22-2007, 07:49 PM
lsustang04
3rd Gear Member

Just go with the vet and you'll be happy. It's just the extra maintenance that's the hassle, but worth it.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:49 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

Verts are nice, but it depends on where you are live. If you live in a place where you can enjoy the vert all the time (like Florida) then go vert. I have a coupe (just my preference) and love it. NO Disrespect to vert owners, but it's alot of player haters out there and If owned a vert, and some bitch screwed up my top because of jealousy, I'd tie them up and run the 1/4 mile constantly with them dragging behind.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:53 PM
bjh061487
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: djb1187

Go vert. I love mine. Coupe is really good for serious racing but I really cruise a lot in my car. They are not noticeably slower also. I will kill any stock coupe btw
looking at everything you got if you lost to a stock coupe then you wouldn't know how to drive... haha... i had a jeep wrangler and i loved the vert on it especially in the summer as i am only an hour and half from NJ but i love my black on black coupe... to me its just a stereotypical man car but if i could have found a black on black with a black vert top i would have jumped on that way faster then the coupe. also the coupe gets REALLY REALLY hot in the summer at least if you got the vert you could cool it down a lot faster then the coupe
Old 03-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

I had a t-top firebird formula and love it. But my '03 vert is so much better and easier just hit the button. Basically, no difference in performance that is a bunch of crap. VERT all the way. I traded in my '02 Audi A4 1.8T Quatro for my '03 VERT and I am still smiling - except of course in the snow but you don't have that issue.

Its a no brainer, plus the extra 1K for the VERT is well worth it as VERT's havebetter/higher resale.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:00 AM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

VERT. I can't imagine not owning a vert.

[IMG]local://upfiles/41701/80527019E8304FB6BE777E02277E2812.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: coupe or vert??